• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Opening wheel centrebore?

Right chaps, advice needed please

To cut a long and boring story short, would it be advisable to get the centrebore of my wheels professionally opened out to accommodate a larger centrebore hubcentric wheels spacer? I need to take exact measurements but I believe it would be minimal, a couple of mm.

Basically, I need a 5mm spacer to clear the wilwoods and the generic one I have on is not ideal and with only 5mm thickness it is impossible to make a spacer with the same bore as the hub.

Alternatively, to completely bypass this problem, get longer studs fitted and use 10mm spacers. The more I think about it, this is the simpler option. Does anybody know a kind of rough price for getting extended studs fitted? I know the hub needs to come off and the studs need pressed out and in so its a garage job.

All thoughts and ideas appreciated chums :)

Wouldn't like to comment on opening the wheel bores out without having seen an engineering drawing of the wheel - if you can get that I can do a propper structural analysis if you like? You would just need to let me know how much material you want to remove and I'll tell you the calculated knock down in rigidity.

The studs & spacers, I guess, would be fairly pricey to get done. High tensile bolts, custom ground to a interference fit, thread grinding aint cheap either (you cant run a die down high tensile) - I guess you're looking at a few hundred - 4 or 5 maybe? It's probably more adviseable to change the alloys - but then you wouldn't be asking this if you wanted to do that :\

Wouldn't like to comment on opening the wheel bores out without having seen an engineering drawing of the wheel - if you can get that I can do a propper structural analysis if you like? You would just need to let me know how much material you want to remove and I'll tell you the calculated knock down in rigidity.

Thank you very much for the offer :) But I wouldn't know the first place to look for the technical drawings for the OEM wheel :(

The studs & spacers, I guess, would be fairly pricey to get done. High tensile bolts, custom ground to a interference fit, thread grinding aint cheap either (you cant run a die down high tensile) - I guess you're looking at a few hundred - 4 or 5 maybe? It's probably more adviseable to change the alloys - but then you wouldn't be asking this if you wanted to do that :\

You can get aftermarket extended studs no problem, so I wouldn't need to manufacture a set. I was just hesitant of this route because of the labour costs involved, I was wanting to keep this as cheap a job as possible but I suppose i'd rather spend a bit of money and get it as safe and as sturdy as possible as opposed to save cash and then have a wheel fall off driving up the A77 :lol:

To be honest, even as I was typing the OP, it became apparant that opening the wheel centrebore was a drastic solution to a problem that can be fixed relatively easy with longer studs :oops:

Back