• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Opinions please TOYO PROXES T1-R or YOKO PARADAS

Going to treat the CTR to a full new set of tyres as the ones on it are ok tread but rubbish makes.

I have visited tyreshopper.co.uk and can get a full set of Paradas size 215/40/R17 for £314 fitted or a full set of TOYO PROXES T1-R size 215/45/R17 for £355 fitted.

This really is my max budget I am looking to spend so any higher brands are out of the question. How do these both compare in differance of sizes? ie ride quality.

Also does anyone have any clear pics of a standard CTR running both sizes of tyres rather than the oem 205/45's?
I am definatley leaning towards the yoko's but am slightly concerned of the 5mm gap, although many on here seem to be happy and prefer the look of a wider tread.

Or I have a choice of the TOYO PX4 in a 215/40 size for £332 fully fitted

My driving style is fast sweeping A&B roads as weekend use only and driving in the wet is a no no ( what...and get it dirty:p)

Are these fair prices for the tyres I'm looking at?

I am definatley leaning towards the yoko's but am slightly concerned of the 5mm gap, although many on here seem to be happy and prefer the look of a wider tread.

5mm gap?? Are you referring to the 40 in 215/40? If so that's a percentage, it's the profile as a percentage of the width, ie the profile is 40% of the 215mm width. A 215/40 is very nearly the same profile as 205/45. 215/45 would look rubbish.

Neither.

Falken FK452 or Goodyear Eagle F1 if you're on a budget. If not then Potenza RE050A.

I found the Toyos very soft sidewall wise, but tyres are a a very subjective thing and for me I always return to the Bridgestones.

Like Chris has said the closest size to OEM would be 215/40/17 if you do want to go for the smaller profile.

I hated the proxies on mine, horrible tram lining and noise, felt harsh too.

I went to paradas and I love them, but many hate them. Personally for me they are absolutely spot on.

Proxie = ultimate sh!te! Really soft sidewalks and squeal like a retard being fingered!

as many have said above, if you're on a budget, Falkens

I've just changed onto Falkens from Toyo T1Rs and the falkens are about 10 million times better in the wet...

obviously its not been dry enough recently to say how they cope in the dry, but i assume they'll be much better than the T1Rs too :)

i'll never own another set of Toyo tyres. First set i had on my H22 Civic coupe 195/50/15 started bulging after about 4k miles, and were totally wrecked after about 5k

second set i owned came on the Buddyclub wheels when i bought them, and were like brand new so i didnt change them, one had a blowout on the ** and the front two again bulged and were pretty wrecked after about 5 or 6 thousand miles.

there's one toyo t1r left on my back wheels, and one no-brand ******* (that i used to replace the blown out toyo), but once they're ready to get changed i'll be going for the falkens again :)

word filter sucks guys, the M 8 is a motorway....and censoring swear words? what are we, 4 years old?

word filter sucks guys, the M 8 is a motorway....and censoring swear words? what are we, 4 years old?

The term M-8 is censored as it is deemed text speak as a short cut for mate, as for the swear filter many forums use it as it stops the place looking like chavsville and stops bitching happening just because you jocks use it in every other word does not mean we have to read it ;) "Ya ken wha a mean ya ***"

:D

How does the Avon zz3 compare to the yokos? I have also found these at a decent price of £317 fitted.

Hi im not sure about the toyos never had any fitted but my uncle has the parades on his seat ibiza cupra and he loves them to bits. I dont think they are lasting very long but he says in the dry the grip levels are really good there just not great in the wet. My own ep3 type r had potenza's on it which i thought were fantastic but i wore them out and being on a budget due to me being a poor bricklayer and not being able to work in the snow haha! ive just fitted some kumho's on it and ive got to say there a cracking tyre for the money and my father who runs a 265bhp s3 audi which is fitted with the same rubber rates them also we are both fairly quick drivers so they might be worth a punt! Not sure exactly what there called and cant be arsed to go outside and look as its ****ing it down haha i think there ecsta sports.

On the Civic I was a fan of the Prada Spec 2's, I had never tried anything else granted, but I never had too as I was more than happy with the PS2's. Size wise 215/40/17 is the best IMO, I treid both and found the 215's better and better looking, sorry Neil ;) .

I had 452's on my S2000 and smashed a set of rears in under 6000 miles. I'm forced to have another set of these as cost and my almost perfect fronts mean I have too.

Eagle F1's are supposed to be very good and if I didnt have almost perfect front 452's on my S2000 I would get a full set of those. I always run matching tyres all round you see.

Ruined 452's.

RearPass.jpg

RearDriver.jpg

.....and the fronts.

Fronts.jpg

At the end of the day it all boils down to what is the most attractive option price wise. Whether it's Paradas, Toyo's or Falkens, they're all more than capable of providing good grip in the dry. Lots of people conmplain about the Paradas in the wet, but in my experience they've been fine. Ok they've slipped and skidded about in the wet on occasion , but that was more down to my heavy right foot than the tyre itself.

First everyone raved about the Toyo's. Then the Paradas were flavour of the month. Now lots of people are jumping on the 452 band wagon and proclaiming they're the best thing since sliced bread. I think tyre choice is a very personal thing and whatever you get you'll either like them or not. A bit of trial and error perhaps. Saying that, I would avoid trying to save a fortune by getting cheapo £35 a corner tyres. Spending upwards of £60 a corner will stand you in good stead and keep you safer.

I'm currently still running Paradas ATM on my DC5. I would quite like to change for something else out of curiosity, but only because of that rather than being disappointed with my current set up. Saying that, I haven't tracked my car so I'm talking purely from a spirited B road POV. Then again, if blasting round tracks is what you're after, then you really need some semi slick track dedicated rubber.

It's worth noting as well that Goodyear do two varieties of Eagle F1's and it's the more expensive asymmetric's that get all of the top marks from the motoring mags. The standard eagle F1's are more comparable to the rest of the field.

Good post Tony, though I have to say I've had a fair few sets, and can speak from experience.

I've had:

Parada Spec 2
RE050A
Eagle F1's (non assymetric)
RE040
RE010
Falken FK452

I think that's it! :lol:

I hated RE040 and PS2, the others were fine, RE050A the best and the F1's and FK452 on the same playing field, though they are obviously less than the RE050A's. That is driving in UK conditions, not track, not dry, not wet. For example, in the dry, I think the RE040's are the best but the trade off is terrible wet traction, which is where the RE050 comes into its own. I haven't had RE010's for long enough to give an option to be honest.

It is however, as you say, forum bandwagen and generic FTW mods. I'm still to decide what to put on the DC2 next.

Back