• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Optimax is back!

CTR

Ain't nothin' but a peanut
For the last two weeks none of the Shell garages in my area have had Optimax due the Hemel Hamsted incident. Apparently that caused a shortage of normal unleaded so the tankers were prioritised in a different way to compensate. Had to use normal unleaded 3 times and every time i cringed. It wasn't just a mind thing, I really felt the difference. Only having ever put Optimax in my car from the very start it just ran like a pig on 95RON. It didn't pull the same from the lower revs and in the VTEC towards the 7-8K rev range it also seemed to pulling with less urge. Anyway, its back now and I've just filled up. Hooray!!! :lol:

Cheers mate...thats the best news I've had all week 8)

I had to put 95 Ron in..but only for about 10 miles as I was straight to Halford for some RON booster :twisted: Did get carried away though and used some race stuff.....although from 95 only took it to about 99-100 anyway.

But now have spare bottle for when I'm home next....the beacons had better watch out :twisted:

Like you CTR mine has only been run on Optimax since I've owned it & my previous car was run on it too.......

Have no concrete proof, but it defo makes a difference imo :wink:

SpaceMonkey said:
Like you CTR mine has only been run on Optimax since I've owned it & my previous car was run on it too.......

Have no concrete proof, but it defo makes a difference imo :wink:

Definately agree with you mate. The car just didn't feel the same in anyway. Felt 'flat' and 'out of fizz'. I even reset the ECU in the hope that would help but it just seemed like the life had been sucked out of the car. Anyway, back to the good old days! :lol:

Due to the shortage of Optimax, I've been using BP Ultimate. At the half tank mark I had covered 160miles :shock: That's better economy than I get with Optimax. I've used Ultimate before but never seen that sort of mileage, and thats with lots of VTEC.

Gonna do me sums and see if its better economy than Optimax, as Optimax is cheaper. Can't say I've noticed any performance gains or drops since using Ultimate. I too have only ever used Optimax except when I was in the Scottish Highlands.

Bazzer said:
Due to the shortage of Optimax, I've been using BP Ultimate. At the half tank mark I had covered 160miles :shock: That's better economy than I get with Optimax. I've used Ultimate before but never seen that sort of mileage, and thats with lots of VTEC.

Gonna do me sums and see if its better economy than Optimax, as Optimax is cheaper. Can't say I've noticed any performance gains or drops since using Ultimate. I too have only ever used Optimax except when I was in the Scottish Highlands.

160 miles :shock: I'm getting anything from 180-220 miles on a full tank and nothing more. I don't mind though. Another tank of super juice for my abay is always welcomed (even if the payments aren't)

There was quite a bit article in EVO last month about this.

Made good reading, but still not the concrete answers I was looking for tbh.

I too noticed that my local Shell garage now has Optimax again, thankyou. :lol:

I've been using the Shell unleaded for the last few weeks and I've not been getting my usual miles out of the tank...

Virtually every Shell site will have Optimax back in, there is only a handful of sites with Optimax stock outs.

Using BP ultima

I have unfortunately not got a Shell garage in my neighbourhood so use B.P. Ultima which I understand is similar to Shell Optimax.

Does anyone know the difference? I watched ore read a motoring programme/magazine which tested the increase in BHP from using unleaded and the higher rated fuels and the conclusion was astonishing.A noted increase of up to 30 bhp was seen on the higher performance cars and there was little difference noted on bog standard road cars.

I cannot however remember the fgures between Shell and BP but I believe Shell fared better in the test.I wasn't driving a quick car at the time so I let the info wash over me.

I find that BP Ultimate doesn't last very long in my car when compaired... I would say that I can get between 10% to 20% extra miles out of a tank of Optimax...

Re: Using BP ultima

bburnrover said:
I have unfortunately not got a Shell garage in my neighbourhood so use B.P. Ultima which I understand is similar to Shell Optimax.

Does anyone know the difference? I watched ore read a motoring programme/magazine which tested the increase in BHP from using unleaded and the higher rated fuels and the conclusion was astonishing.A noted increase of up to 30 bhp was seen on the higher performance cars and there was little difference noted on bog standard road cars.

I cannot however remember the fgures between Shell and BP but I believe Shell fared better in the test.I wasn't driving a quick car at the time so I let the info wash over me.

BP Ultimate is 97Ron, Optimax is 98Ron. :wink:

Back