• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Orange peel

So Had my front bumper and side panel re-sprayed where the petrol cap is on my cosmic ep3 last week because there were a few scratches I wanted sorting. He did a good job on the blending ad paint match but the finish could of been better. Mainly the panel by the petrol cap the clear coat is a bit orange peely. He did it on the cheap and he admitted that ( was a friend of a friend)and I realised you get what you pay for £220 for the bumper and panel (other quotes were coming in at 360 just for the scratch). He said he would machine polish the whole car for £80 which I thought was reasonable. My question to you guys is would the machine polish get rid of the orange peel on the clear coat? Or would it need extra measures such as wet and dry sand paper. My aim is to obviously get rid of the orange peel and get a good finish for the paint work all over. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated ps I hear the paint on Hondas are rubbish should it bare this in mind?

Last edited by a moderator:
Only wedsanding and polishing will solve the orange peel.
Is your guy experienced in detailing cars?
this isnt something a novice should be doing.

Not too sure about his background in detailing but he used to work for Merc spraying but I suppose that doesn't really mean much. I am completely a novice when it comes to paint. After a little research I have read that machine polishing will get rid of orange peel and other sources including yourself won't.

Maybe be I should speak to the guy about it directly and see if can sort it out. I am usually good with trying things but will leave this one to the pros

Machine polish will removenthe orange peel however the cutting compond needed on a resprayed panel is something newbies should attempt. Take it to a professional detail company if you car for your car. Im a professional detailer for mazda uk and come across over spray and orange peel alot. Wet sanding with 2000 grit on a one pass at a time will be easyer just dont press hard when doing it.

Cheers mate much appreciated. Well I rang the guy up and said I wasn't happy with it, so I'm dropping back with him and he is going to sort it for me. Hopefully will
come back like it should of. After he has machine polished the car was thinking of sealing/waxing the car with collinite 476s as I have heard this is pretty heavy duty stuff to protect the paint work?

476 is a wax not a sealant. You can top a sealant with a wax or just use wax alone.
The collonite is indeed a very good wax and stays on quite long compared to others.
Might need to degrease the paint before applying wax. Good luck

Back