• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Orange rust-y looking stuff - worry?

Hi all,

Have seen this orange (almost rusty) looking subtance under a part in the engine bay - see the picture below - is this normal on Civics? I bought my car brand new about 4 months ago so was wondering if its like on all FN2s. Is it some sort of sealant maybe or? I'm not even sure what that plate above it with the two "blue" coated screws are. Obviously the thermostat would be somewhere near but not over that plate (I wouldnt think so given the top hose runs to the left of it). Thanks! Andrew

enginebay.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not really up with the mechanics of the FN2 but it looks like part of the coolant system. There are ferrous components in the system that rust over time but the Honda coolant should have a rust inhibitor in it. Looks like there has been a leak and its sealed itself again.
My advise is check the fluid is not just water and wipe away the rusty looking stuff and see if it comes back.
If it does then I'm sure you may just need to change the seal on that cover to stop it.

Some coolants can be orange but official Honda stuff has always been blue since I've been using it.

Mine isn't like that but have to agree it looks like sealant.

You say you bought it brand new? Get it back to the dealers, sit back have a coffee and let them sort it.

My coolant is blue for the record. As Composite Guru suggests, pop the rad cap off when the engine is stone cold and see if it looks murky etc before going to the dealers though. That way you'll be more informed if they try to fob you off.

Thanks to everyone for their replies, much appreciated.

Loxy - I did buy the car brand new, back in Oct last year (17 kms on the clock actually :) ). Only thing is build date was July 2010 and compliance-plated in July 2011 (usually the difference between the two is less than 12 months, but could just be one of those things). Took rad cap off and checked fluid, its def the Honda blue coolant (exactly the same consistency as what I used on my Integra VTi-R).

Should I mention it to them at the 1000km free service (which I'll do prob next week or one after) and get them to look at it then? as opposed to wiping it myself and seeing whether it comes back?

It won't harm letting Honda look at it during the service. They may wipe it off and say the same as above, see if it comes back. At least if you have a problem with it later down the line you can point out that they had already looked at it.

Ok thanks mate I'll do that - better that they 'looked' at it beforehand in case it comes back. Cheers!

Back