• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Over revving

Chris.

Founder
Administrator
I over revved the car today during some brisk driving to just short of the 9K mark on a downshift. Car is still fine (had another 10 miles of brisk driving afterwards).

Is it just a case of re setting the ECU and the log of the over rev is gone?

i did this the other night, not sure what i did, put it in 2nd rather then 4th or was going faster then 4th's limit,

no limiter bounce but i think it flashed to 9k maybe 9,2k

getting a tapping sound now...
maybe just be a lil louder now?

iam due 2nd service in 1500miles so prolly best get tappets checked, hope i havent bent a valve ect

seems to pull fine maybe just me or the heat (maybe not as well in red line)

i'll keep check on it anyways!

chris i would pop the fuse outa ur ecu for 10mins ect nopoint not to its soo easy

Mine sounds the same as before. Are you sure it's not just paranoia? As long as you wasn't giving any gas then I don't think it would have done too much damage mate if any.

Reason I ask is that if something is knackered, and the future owner takes it to the dealer it will be a clear indication from the log (presuming it logs date and time, but I think it's just an error code?) that it happened when I was driving. Not sure if they could do anything I'm just thinking of covering my back that's all.

u could pop out the ecu, over night shouldnt take long to undo 3 screws, not sure about locking the car thou...

I read about someone testing both a K20A and K20A2 to destruction, you need to rev at 8800+ for a considerable time to do real damage (unless it's whilst your cornering hard!).

I shouldn't worry.

Just by unplugging the ecu will not clear any faults stored in the ecu.you will have to plug in a hds tester or scanner to clear the stored fault.

CTR_Paul said:
I read about someone testing both a K20A and K20A2 to destruction, you need to rev at 8800+ for a considerable time to do real damage (unless it's whilst your cornering hard!).

I shouldn't worry.

It was a right hander. Left handers are the main problem with the K20.

I'll just reset the ECU - should be fine. As for locking the car, it shouldn't matter round here in all honesty.

Livvy + Paul said:
Just by unplugging the ecu will not clear any faults stored in the ecu.you will have to plug in a hds tester or scanner to clear the stored fault.

So I can't just reset it and it's gone?

MilanoChris said:
CTR_Paul said:

I shouldn't worry.

I'll just reset the ECU - should be fine. As for locking the car, it shouldn't matter round here in all honesty.

Note considerable time was 4hours plus for the K20A2 and nearer 9 hours for the K20A...not just .5 of a second.

MilanoChris said:
CTR_Paul said:

I shouldn't worry.

No imo right handers ARE a problem with the K20. only corners i get starvation on were right handers.

MilanoChris said:
I over revved the car today during some brisk driving to just short of the 9K mark on a downshift. Car is still fine (had another 10 miles of brisk driving afterwards).

Is it just a case of re setting the ECU and the log of the over rev is gone?

Don´t worry. There is no log on data like over rev. Just don´t keep doing it, otherwise your valves will give you problems.

i was sure it was left handers, i saw what happens to the engine, at tgm's poor guy did a trackday with low oil easy to see with the sump off

Fire_2 said:
i was sure it was left handers, i saw what happens to the engine, at tgm's poor guy did a trackday with low oil easy to see with the sump off

LOW OIL???? any corner is a fuc**ing danger with low oil!

yeah kenny was showing me the conrods and bearing ect all shagged i think he was below the mini marker and was hitting the corners hard!

i took there advice and overfilled mine now seems fine too 8600rpm down the backstrights of brands at 130mph odd did about 100 miles around there too.

Silverstone GP in 1 week too, better get that baffed sump fitted on friday, gona be testing out the 888's

Back