• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

P1298

Hey sorry I'm new to this forum...a bit confused about my type r..

I took my type r out for a run after putting in a new engine and it through back engine management code P1298.
After a wee bit of researching I found that could be the Electric Load Detector, just to be replaced, or if thats not it, could the the alternator over charging?
Has anyone had this problem before?

Also vtec isnt kicking in until 6k revs when it is all warmed up, seems a bit too high?
The first time i had it out the road in vtec (at 6k) when i turned to come back it in put the car into limp mode and obv wouldnt rev above 4k, After turning the car off and on again it was fine?

Anyone any ideas =/

Hey sorry I'm new to this forum...a bit confused about my type r..

I took my type r out for a run after putting in a new engine and it through back engine management code P1298.
After a wee bit of researching I found that could be the Electric Load Detector, just to be replaced, or if thats not it, could the the alternator over charging?
Has anyone had this problem before?
Loads, put "load detector" (including the "s) into the search

Also vtec isnt kicking in until 6k revs when it is all warmed up, seems a bit too high?
That's the standard vtec cross over

The first time i had it out the road in vtec (at 6k) when i turned to come back it in put the car into limp mode and obv wouldnt rev above 4k, After turning the car off and on again it was fine?
So when you turned it put the car into limp home mode?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll go through all those searches aftr work, cheers.
I thought vtec was meant to kick in at the 4500/5000 rev mark when it's fully warmed up? First civic type r ive driven though.
And limp mode kicked in as I was slowing down to turn. Then when I took off it was limiting at 4k =\

I'll go through all those searches aftr work, cheers.
I thought vtec was meant to kick in at the 4500/5000 rev mark when it's fully warmed up? First civic type r ive driven though.
Nope, it's 6k standard, 4.5k-5k is normally after its been remapped

limp mode kicked in as I was slowing down to turn. Then when I took off it was limiting at 4k =\

Not a clue with this, any stored EML codes?

Ah I always thought it kicked in at 4-5k ha. Is that just in the 1.6vtecs?
And yeah the eml code is in the title.
It was for too much voltage in the Electronic Load Sensor.

Read yesterday and order part this morning.
Just wondered if any problem would be with the alternator if there was to much voltage going through to cause this to break.

Sorry mate couldn't tell you. All I know is that when I had the P1298 and had the symptoms I described in that thread, swapping the ELD cured it and its been fine for 30k miles.

Ah that's ok mine was £42+vat or something from the garage. Didn't know if tht was a bit much or anything. Shall see what happens once it's fitted. Lookin into k100 now to suit the modifications

Back