• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Pads and Discs for FN2...

Neily03

Professional Hippy
It's looking like my FN2 will need new pads all round and maybe new rear discs at it's 25k service in a few months.

Just wondering what the options are other than OEM, especially rear discs as the OEM ones seem to be made of cheese.... don't want anything drilled or grooved and won't be taking it on the track or anything, just fast road use....

Same with me Neil, mines coming up to 20k and the brakes, although perfectly adequate, certainly aren't as strong as they were.

Same with me Neil, mines coming up to 20k and the brakes, although perfectly adequate, certainly aren't as strong as they were.

I'm happy with the power but seeing as they soon need replacing there's nothing wrong with an upgrade.... :eek:

I know it's a different car, but I'm in the process of upgrading the 182 brakes to Brembo HC Discs & Ferodo DS2500 pads mate. Meant to be a decent set-up.

I know it's a different car, but I'm in the process of upgrading the 182 brakes to Brembo HC Discs & Ferodo DS2500 pads mate. Meant to be a decent set-up.

Are the DS2500 pads the same ones they use in touring cars? I've heard they're very good, but make a hell of a squeal

is around 20,000 miles standard for Honda Pads before a change is needed to be thought about?

is around 20,000 miles standard for Honda Pads before a change is needed to be thought about?

No, wait until they're worn down. My EP3 lasted until 37k miles before the front pads needed changing.

Are they necessary for the rear Neil? Particularly if the stability control applies the rears to balance the car it could either be problematic or just expensive in pad wear?

Also I'm aware TGM don't feel a need to change the rear pads of the DC5s/EP3s as the rear brakes don't really do much when it comes to the braking, might be a similar story with FN2?

Are they necessary for the rear Neil? Particularly if the stability control applies the rears to balance the car it could either be problematic or just expensive in pad wear?

Also I'm aware TGM don't feel a need to change the rear pads of the DC5s/EP3s as the rear brakes don't really do much when it comes to the braking, might be a similar story with FN2?

I have been thinking it could affect the VSA, it seems the rear pads and discs are quite soft but you'd assume this is intentional to work with the VSA.... So switching to a high performance pad on the rear could not only wear the discs faster but also affect the VSA....... the last thing I was is it locking the rear wheels round a corner.... :eek:

Think I might stick with OEM rear and just get the DS2500 for the fronts....

The front pads are £105 for mine mate :eek::(
But meant to be worth the premium.

I would recommend the 2500 they're very good pads, very happy with mine, the slight squeal I get from mine is actually quite nice, they don't sound like they're messed up they just sounds like performance brakes :D, the squeal is also not all the time and i can drive without it happening! Had them fitted @ TGM so i'd imagine they've been put on properly.

DS2500 ordered for the front and will leave the rears until it gets serviced and see what they say, if it needs pads/discs i'll just buy oem and it them myself. :)

Have a word with Honda about the brake wear. Got mine changed under warranty.
FN2 brakes are poo, I can clench my arse cheeks together harder than those pads grip the discs!

Mine are great, better than my EP3s, think the discs are slightly bigger..?

Do you reckon the tyres could be a factor as to why I am not impressed by the braking? Or am I talking out of my pooper?

Bridgestone Pots are on it at the moment...

Do you reckon the tyres could be a factor as to why I am not impressed by the braking? Or am I talking out of my pooper?

Bridgestone Pots are on it at the moment...

I've got Bridgestones on mine too. But then I don't drive on 'Zee Autobalm' :p

I've got Bridgestones on mine too. But then I don't drive on 'Zee Autobalm' :p

Touché! :D

Drove back to Germany on Sunday and its only a 850 mile run, but the rears were caked in brake dust, I cant say there was much agressive braking. So I dont know what the VSA thought it was doing! I'll be needing another set of brakes soon!

Trying to write down an explanation on how the FN2 brakes feel to me, and its harder than you'd think! I am an early braker. I cover the brakes when I see I need to slow down quite a ways ahead. I wont wait until until the last minute and jump on the brakes.

On the autobahn, I dont tend to use the brakes, I'll come off the throttle, or drop a gear. The Germans are quite good and will spot you coming at warp 3 and shift out of the way (middle lane whores can be shot on sight here with no fear of criminal proceedings!;) ). So the only braking is start/stop motorway traffic or when a nobber with a caravan pulls out on you to overtake a truck or something.

Around town/rural driving I will use the brakes by covering the pedal, applying slight pressure, and then braking harder as I come to a standstill. If that makes sense?

Back