• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Passed MOT - drive shaft issue after

Hi guys, need some advice.

The ep3 was due MOT. They took the car in, and gave me a estimate of £470 for two front arms fitted + couple of bulbs.

Two arms cost me £145 but I went ahead as i have busy week at work so we agreed on £410.

As I was picking up the car out of garage he was complaining that they need extra £20 as he wasted an hour with drive shaft that was giving them problem , whilst they were fitting the lower ball joint (hence £20 charge) and he won't charge labour for it.

As soon as I paid and drove out, the car drove like *****. I took it straight to tyre place and paid £30 to get it tracked.

I have driven it 7 miles and drive shaft is heavily knocking and 1-2mph, I can't see anything else . Wheels are all on okay and arms all are new.

I got it recovered to garage at midnight.

Next day they said they haven't had time.
It's now day 2 and still no response.

Shall I wait? Or call them? Should drive shaft be detected at MOT? Or is it my fault and I should just pay? Or shall I dispute?

Usually I have my own mechanic who does it for fraction of the cost but due to time constraints it was easier to take it to the local.

I feel powerless in disputing. He has my car and keys, he is not going to say "oh yes it's our fault, no need to pay".

He is most likely going to say " this is problem, this is part price, this is labour (£60 ph) and this is VAT on top of everything.

I'm so fu*ked and angry but I m trying to write it here rather than on his face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why didn't you take it straight back to the first garage at the beginning?
If something was seriously wrong, the second garage should of spotted the problem.
Either way it drives worse than before you had work carried out. So they've damaged/disturbed something and it may cost you some money but a decent garage should come to some agreement that works for both.

There's only one garage involved. Also when they took the drive shaft off they didn't add clip to tighten cv boot so there is grease literally everywhere.
My bonnet stand was in the boot, still don't know why it was taken off completely.
Things like this really annoy me when u pay approx £400 for MOT and front lower arms replaced and they take bits of ur car off.

What a bunch of loons. And no I haven't had time to go back and waste more time on these muppets. They win.

Back