• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Passenger Side Front Knocking

Hi guys,

I've got a strange issue with my 2005 EP3 CTR which is driving me up the wall.

The issue is a knocking noise which sounds like its originating under the body of the car at the front, roughly around the passenger footwell.

I have carried out the following tests to narrow done the issue:

- The noise is only apparent when the car is warmed up (as in driven 5 miles or so, doesn't knock when cold)
- The noise isn't symmetrical to the wheels rotation, it's a random knocking but only effected by the rotation of the wheels (if that makes sense)
- The knocking can be felt slightly if you place your foot on the footwell of the interior (I can feel it when my foot in placed on the foot rest next to the clutch pedal)
- The noise can still be heard when the engine is turned off and the car is just free rolling
- The noise is louder on the inside of the car than the outside
- The knocking is apparent when in reverse
- The noise isn't affected by the revving of the engine, if you have the handbrake on and rev the car the knocking can't be heard

I don't think this knocking is anything to do with the engine or gearbox, it sounds more like a suspension issue.

I've seen the thread on driveshaft heat shield but I hear that this is effected by the RPM where my knocking isn't.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me items to test to narrow it down even further before I start swapping parts and waste money :)

Many Thanks!

Gav

Ill keep you posted, I'm going to get it on the axel stands this weekend and have a good poke around.

Right... Had a poke around and im see its something to do with the suspension.I have popped the bonnet when the engine is cold and pushed each side of the front down on the suspension to see if i can replicate the knocking but no joy.I then took the car for a good run and did the same but only with the engine hot and the knocking is there!I cant pin point whereabouts its coming from but i know it only happens when the engine is hot and when you push down on the suspension (either side).Any ideas guys??

it sounds like its one of the dampners/shocks,or the top mount bearing.a bounce check would confirm this,to find the source of a knock is better felt with the fingertips than the ear,hope this helps.

Back