• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Passenger side rear brake sticking / getting red hot

Hi guys,

I recently noticed the passenger side rear brake was getting red hot after even a 10 minute drive? anything over that and I watched smoke coming from it in my passenger side wing mirror seriously! So it made the car pretty much undriveable until it was sorted.

So I decided to get a full new rear caliper put on a few weeks ago which I bought myself from eBay andf got a garage to fit it, and it seemed to be problem solved for about 2 - 3 weeks, and here I am today with the same issue again!?!?..

I drove my girlfriends last night which was about a 10 minute drive, and it was reddd hot, it was the smell of burning and the ticking noise from the heat of the metal that made me notice it when emptying my boot. Basically the same issue as what I had with the old caliper! I then drove again around 30 mins later and it was fine? I drove to work today and it was fine again, I get home just now and boom its red hot again.... I personally think this issue is something to do with the handbrake now sticking on at the rear but i've got a brand new caliper on there and new brake fluid 3 weeks ago... any ideas guys? or anyone else had this issue? It's driving me insane!:mad:

It does sound like a caliper issue but did you replace discs and pads at the same time? Your old disc may be warped from the heat. Also check your handbrake adjustment, I believe it's recommended to have around 8 clicks on the handbrake.

sticking caliper or it might be your left side handbrake cable i had the same issue

Last edited by a moderator:
Back