• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Pawn's NHB CTR

2005 Honda Civic Type-R Premier (EP3) in the fastest colour - NHB :cool:
006-1.jpg

Bought with 21,000 miles on the clock on 07/06/07 from those scammers at Avonvale Honda, Northants after it's predecessor (pre-facelift EP3) was brutally attacked from behind by a VW Lupo whilst waiting at a roundabout. Not a write off or even badly damaged but it's not the same is it. :(

It remained unmodified for a few months until I heard a sound clip of the Gruppe M intake. :twisted: Struck lucky and had one pretty soon after.
IMG_0289.jpg

The next major mod was the Buddyclub Spec IV cat-back exhaust. Again, heard it in a clip and thought it sounded incredible, I've never heard a car sound like that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9VycK-U7tk
(nearly got beat by the 182!! :eek: )

A few choice cosmetic mods followed in the months after without anything else major; to be honest I was very happy with the car...until I got a message from Newannaive offering me his K-Pro for a reasonable sum.

Instantly went overdrawn and met him that weekend at Honda for the swap. Wow! I can't imagine the standard map anymore, the best mod out there by far in my opinion!

Drove for a couple of months running a modified RSX cold-air map until I finally got booked in to TDI North for a remap. The car made 226.3bhp @ 7,803rpm and 166.3lb/ft @ 5,780rpm.

100_3651.jpg

Once again the car was totally transformed; it left the RSX map feeling positively rough in comparison. Paul did an amazing job squeezing that power out of very basic breathing mods.

Few things planned if all goes well; mainly stiffening and freshening the appearance up.

Modifications:
- Gruppe M intake
- Buddyclub Spec IV cat-back exhaust
- Hondata K-Pro
- Re-map by TDI North (4,500rpm VTEC / 8,600rpm rev limit)
- 17" Buddyclub P1's
- J's Racing front strut & engine torque damper
- J's Racing rear strut
- SFS induction hose
- JDM rear ARB (sprayed red 8) )
- Japspeed rear tie-bar
- Seibon (Mugen copy) carbon spoiler with the ends colour coded NHB
- JDM carbon door sills
- JDM red mats
- Lee H Earthing kit
- Spoon reservoir socks
- Fusion 4 gauge amp wiring kit
- JVC Headunit
- Infinity 6 x 9's
- Alpine amp
- Auto Acoustics stealth shelf
Modifications to come:
- Buddyclub carbon bonnet if one comes up
- Tein S-Tech springs + FRS when I move sites and I can get in the car park!
- DC Sports race headers
- RBC manifold

Still, not in bad nick for a CTR that's now done 65,000 miles, 45,000 of which done by me in 22 months. :rolleyes:

Some pictures from the various adventures:
Silverstone - 'History of the Type R' book photoshoot
054.jpg

082.jpg

093.jpg

Airforce 3 - airfield drag day
airforce3027.jpg

airforce3141.jpg

airforce3142.jpg

Weekend in Snowdonia climbing over New Year
Picture.jpg

:lol:

Detailed

Dan Clark from Deep Reflections did it all for me; his work really is excellent and built himself quite a reputation if anyone needs work doing. :D

Lifted straight off JPOC so it's written by him.
Today saw a detail on Garys NHB CTR.
Bit of frustrating day, but more on that as i go along!
Gary dropped off the Civic about 9:30 and i got cracking straight away, concious of time as i need to be finished for 5pm.
The pre & wash process:
Rinsed with the pressure washer
Wheels and arches washed - Megs APC, SD and AG CW
Door shuts cleaned - Megs APC
Rinsed
Snow foamed - Citrus Snow foam via a super spray, should have been via my new lance, but the bosch fitment didn't fit my bosch pressure washer!! Frustration number 1!!
Rinsed again
Washed - Megs shampoo plus & sonus wash mitt
Rinsed and again
Clayed with Bilt Hamber Autoclay with Megs Last Touch as lube
Dried with a Megs waffle weave towel
The before piccies:
IMG_8117.jpg

IMG_8118.jpg

IMG_8119.jpg

IMG_8122.jpg

IMG_8123.jpg

IMG_8124.jpg

IMG_8125.jpg

IMG_8127.jpg

IMG_8129.jpg

I continued to clay the Civic, nothing unusual, just normal contamination and the odd tar spot.
IMG_8132.jpg

After claying i inspected the paint to see what i'm dealing with, mild swirls, holograms and a few deeper scratches....
IMG_8136.jpg

IMG_8139.jpg

IMG_8140.jpg

IMG_8141.jpg

Frustration number two....SLR battery goes flat. :mad:
So i'm a bit short on photo's here.

PTG readings ranged from 103 to 220. All healthy readings :D

I grabbed the G220 and started with Menz 106FA on a 3M polishing pad. Stupidly i thought this Civic would be as easy to correct as mine, which only need to smile at to correct it...but no. In fact it was the most difficult car i have ever worked on!! The paint was rock solid and wouldn't correct fully up with anything that i threw at it.

I increased the polish and pad combo's slowly, adding 3.02 to the above. Then changing the pad for a Sonus yellow swirl pad. Then finally up to a compounding pad and just 3.02 - i couldn't get a more aggressive combo with the arsenal i have. I refined that with 106FA but i still didn't get correction 100%. Frustration number 3.

So a bit gutted really, i wanted prefection on this.
I spoke with Gary with via text, and discussed what i could in the time i had, so enhancement was the order of the day. I also asked for an extra hour, as i'd spent so bloody long on the bonnet just to get to something decent.

Once polished via G220, i added a layer of AG SRP to mask some of the marks i couldn't correct.

I chose Dodo Juices Blue Velvet for the wax layer, awesome wax for this colour. NHB has a fleck of blue in it.

So i was left with a finish like this, a bit worse in some areas:
IMG_8152.jpg

Just wish for more time and some 3M fast cut plus :rolleyes:

I was very tempted to grab the 3000grit sand paper and flat the bonnet back, but i think i'd still be out there now! lol

All the rubber done with AG VRC, tyres with Megs High Gloss Endurance gel, windows with AG FG.

I moved the Civic around the sun to get the final finished piccies:
IMG_8143.jpg

IMG_8146.jpg

IMG_8151.jpg

IMG_8154.jpg

IMG_8156.jpg

IMG_8157.jpg

IMG_8161.jpg

_MG_8187.jpg

_MG_8189.jpg

_MG_8207.jpg

_MG_8208.jpg

IMG_8166.jpg

Nice bit of carbon on the rear wing :cool:

IMG_8171.jpg

Gary collected the Civic just before 6pm. Now on his way to Nottingham, at least the drag coefficient will be less now and he'll get there a bit quicker. lol ;)

Comments welcome.
All the best,
Dan

Dan's a complete perfectionist so he was never going to be happy with anything but 100% correction...he really has done an incredible job with it though, looks amazing and no more swirly panels even when I'd waxed it.

Update

Finally got my car all sorted; the clutch issue is now resolved so I spent yesterday chasing round, getting more mods on. :cool:

After picking up my BuddyClub P1's from Marty last night I couldn't wait to get them on! Straight to Hi-Q as soon as I got up...they look mint! So happy with them.

IMG_0375.jpg

Then, this evening I went over to Andy's (Newannaive) for some help (well, he did pretty much all of it! :p ) fitting the rear JDM ARB and J's Racing front strut brace + ETD.

IMG_0376.jpg

All jacked up, didn't make getting the flipping drop links off any easier! :mad:

Junior hacksaw all the way.

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

Finally fitted with the lower tie-bar. :cool:

Next we moved on to the front strut. Stupidly tight bolts lead to some blood being spilled. :eek: Just another fight this car put up when doing anything to it. :rolleyes:

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

Definately noticed the difference in the car on the way home. The ETD does transfer some more vibration through the cabin but it's a good vibration; feels solid. Gear changes and power transfer is much better. The JDM ARB is awesome! Feels so planted and less washy on the front end, the strut may have something to do with that too.

Happy with the car again. :D Just needs dropping to rid it of that arch gap.

Hmm, the pics Eninen has showed me of your race, clearly show him in front.

The photoshopping b'stard!

Car looks awesome mate, good mods.

Hmm, the pics Eninen has showed me of your race, clearly show him in front.

The photoshopping b'stard!

Car looks awesome mate, good mods.

aye, he's a dodgy soandso nick tbh.. :lol:

thats the rematch at the end of the day, I busted a front engine mount, ball joint and 3 lca bushes and wheelhopped through 1st gear and into 2nd...bad times.... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your comments. :)

NickeBay! So this is where you've been hiding!

Newannaive still whoring those reverse angle shots of the race? :rolleyes: He'll never give it up. :lol:

Back