• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Pete's TDi North/Grinspeed tuned NHB CTR & BMW 335i Coupe

Hi All

Was fishing around with the civics folder the other night, receipts, MOT's etc and came across the dyno graph from when the car was initially mapped with the k100, injen cai, rbc and Blitz Nur Spec cat back system.
Despite the exhaust system costing £600 :eek: and being excellent build quality it absolutely killed the power whilst being mapped on the dyno and at 5250rpm there is a massive notice in drop of bhp and torque which then corrected itself at 5500rpm no wonder Paul had an absolute nightmare trying to get a consistant reading because of the air flow of the exhaust being so poor despite him spending a good three hours trying to sort it out.

A week later the Piper cat back system went on and the car went back on the dyno and the difference is amazing, everything else is exactly the same as when the Blitz was on there so just goes to prove how much difference a cat back exhaust can make, pictures below...

Will post up the graph from the 27th when the cams and tegiwa go in - excited much haha

Blitz Graph.jpgPiper Graph.jpg

Hit the 70k mark today, it only had 46k on the clock when I bought her :( on the plus side she is running even better than when I went to collect her :)

Dials.jpg

Hey Pete, congratz on the 70k mark. Would I also suffer the problems with your old exhaust when I come to a remap, did they advise on the issue, the b pipe ?

Hey mate, hope your keeping ok and the civic is still running well - will have to try and meet up in the spring :)

When it comes to a remap pal you may find that it doesnt perform as well as other systems like I found out after having the piper system installed, on a standard set up it will be absolutely fine but when Paul at TDI was mapping the car he believed that the issue was that the pipework in the back box bends through the system rather than being straight like on other exhausts causing problems with getting an accurate reading on the airflow through the engine.

Be good to see some pictures of it fitted on your EP3 mate :)

Im good, few niggles with the car, just passed 102k. I've got kpro now, so might affect me when I remap that. Would love a toda or twin loop.......

Will sort some pictures out in the daylight, how's thing with you ?

The Midlands meet is good, usually Star City Birmingham, not sure when/if theres another one. Not heard of any Shropshire meets coming up.

What niggles have you had mate? Hopefully not anything serious, Glad to hear youve decided on k-pro i remember when we spoke you didnt know if you would or not, sounds like you havent had the car mapped using the k-pro yet so you might want to look at changing your cat back before it goes on the rollers or you could see how it gets on I may have just been unlucky :(

Yeah definitely pal it would be good to see some updated pics of your car in general, I am good thanks the cars in a week on Tuesday for the TDI cams going in.

Let us know if you hear anything about a midlands meet :) I am hoping to do a lot more meets during 2013 JAE, Japshow, TRO dyno day etc

it was a good deal, that couldnt be missed on the kpro. On start up its revving to 2000-3000 revs, when stop does the same again, untill its warm (5 mins) and acts normal, plus the exhaust is banging against something at the rear, sounds 100 times louder than it should.

Would like to attend some of the big shows, interested in the dnyo day. Will pm you if I hear anything about a meet. Cams eh, its coming along, what bhp will those see ?

Good man sounds like you got yourself a bargain, on start up mine revs to about 2000rpm until its warm so i dont think you have got much to worry about there, when I came back off holiday earlier in the year the car was revving itself up and down between 2000-3000 the other half thought i was doing it until she came outside and saw me standing outside the car lol took it for a really good drive and it cleared itself these K20 engines dont seem to like standing for long.
Not too sure on the reason for the exhaust banging at the rear it was absolutely fine on my EP3, might be worth looking to swap it in time for your remap anyway just for piece of mind and you will get good money back selling the Blitz on.

The dyno day gets a really good response and Loxy makes the effort to organise the day along with TDI, gutted i missed the one a few weeks ago but there was a mini honda meet at TDI the day i had my RBC K100 install and they are really good meets with people coming and going throughout the day.
Cool cheers mate would be interested in some local meets, I am hoping to see around 250bhp with the cams in whilst keeping the OEM exhaust manifold and cat

People probably think im doing the same, reving the car for attention, prob because of the cold, will be looking to remap at TDI at some point, prob sort exhaust, maybe manifold, got a tegiwa airbox unsure if I like it or not.

Excellent gains on all the mods, I'd like to achieve the same. Sounds like a good day out at TDI then, prob no meets heading towards winter/xmas, hopefully something in the new year.

So I spoke to Ben at TDI earlier in the week just to confirm Tuesday's booking and the job list for the day, looks as if I am going to have plenty of time on my hands unless Paul or Ben hand me the keys to the Skyline or EG (cant see it myself lol) so if anyones about on the day and fancies dropping in to say hello please save me from hours of Fifa09 on the xbox haha.

The plan for Tuesday is...
- Remove Injen CAI and install new Tegiwa Gruppe M Rep
- Install and map TDI North drop in cams
- New OEM discs and pads (front and back)
- Oil and filter change
- Transmission fluid change

The plan for early next year will then be a new set of wheels, suspension improvements (bushes and braces) and hopefully a carbon bonnet/carbon spoiler. Although it will still be my daily drive the modifications should mean its more than capable for some tracks days and RWYB drag days throughout 2013 but without being focused soley on one or the other.

I will try and get a big write up done on Tuesday/Wednesday with pics/vids etc cant wait, 3 more sleeps haha...

Have seen a few FN2's with those TDI North drop in cams, will be interesting to see what they make in an EP3.

I am 4kas even though its going to be a long day, should have booked the Wednesday off work too thinking about it haha hows the build coming on?

R555 - Loxy helped TDI trial these cams in his FN2 and also have heard about them going into a few DC5's but not actually sure how many EP3's are running them so the results should be pretty interesting :)

Chop has got a set of the TDi Cams in his EP3, he sounds made up with them. Unfortunately I wont be able to get down on Tuesday.

Thats good to know Tom I didnt know Chop was running them, they seem to be going in more FN2's and DC5's at the moment.

Its a shame you cant make Tuesday pal it would have been good to have a natter with you but definitely will during 2013, hows the Saxo going? not bad little cars but cant really compare it to the monster locked away in your garage :D

Thats good to know Tom I didnt know Chop was running them, they seem to be going in more FN2's and DC5's at the moment.

Its a shame you cant make Tuesday pal it would have been good to have a natter with you but definitely will during 2013, hows the Saxo going? not bad little cars but cant really compare it to the monster locked away in your garage :D

Arent the cams something TODA A3's but with the lift reduced to OEM safe limits?

They are different to the Toda A3's R555, although are a good match in terms of performance.
The TDI cams retain the stock valve springs yet still produce figures to match most stage 2 cams which is awesome.

Looking forward to Pete's update :cool:

Hi All

I meant to update this last night after I got back from TDI but exhausted wasnt the word so I thought better of it and decided to update the thread tonight when there is less chance of me falling sleep :)

It was another early start yesterday 5am get up, arrived at the TDI North workshop just after 830am and Paul finally managed to get rid of us at 630pm part of me wasnt looking forward to the journey home because it suddenly hit me how tired I was but that lasted for about 5 seconds when Paul got me to take the car around the block at 20 past 6.

Neil and Ben did an absolute fantastic job of getting everything done on the car in the one day, due to the wet weather last weekend I didnt get the oppourtunity to remove the Japspeed strut brace ready for the Tegiwa install but Neil soon dispatched it in about 90 seconds haha, then it was onto the lift, wheels off and a nice new set of OEM discs and pads all around, the pads that came off were definitely in need of changing the back especially being very low, I am currently bedding them in but I noticed the difference straight away it feels like I could stop the car on a pinhead.

Whilst up on the lift Neil and Ben also changed the transmission oil and how much of this is placebo or not I dont know but the gear changes feel so smooth now and is another service item to cross off the list, Neil then started tackling the removal of the Injen CAI great piece of kit but I have given in to the fear of hydrolock after hearing about a couple of recent cases.

Then off came the cam cover ready for the TDI drop in cam install, I was surprised to find that the Tegiwa cam cover washers and dome nuts o-rings have perished badly despite only being on the car for a matter of months and because they do not have the plug bit like the OEM parts have Neil said that the cam cover was actually moving around ever so slightly so a set of OEM washers were fitted when the cover went back on.

The lads made fitting the new cams sound like changing a headlight bulb but to me who has a basic mechanical knowledge I could never imagine being able to do anything that complicated, the cams dropped in like a dream everything went back together and the cam cover went back on.

Next thing to be done was the Tegiwa intake install, Ben attacked the scuttle panel and fitted the scoop whilst Neil installed the heat shield airbox and hoses, I went for a blue Tegiwa intake hose and also took the left over universal JS performance hoses I had so that everything matches rather than going with the standard black hoses.

Last but not least from the workshop side of things the car went back up on the lift for an oil and filter change using a Hamp oil filter and Millers oil.

Paul got the car strapped down to the dyno just before 5pm and before the mapping started him and Neil predicted the car would make 245bhp even with retaining the OEM manifold and cat, unfortunatley due to my camera playing up I didnt manage to get a video of the mapping and by this time my samsung galaxy had also died which would of been better quality (gutted) :(

The car posted figures of 246.3bhp and 168.7lbft and the behaviour of the car has been totally transformed, low down torque and power are much better which makes town driving a lot more bearable pulling away from lights and junctions is much stronger, VTEC has been set to come in later and once the car hits 6000rpm it pulls like an absolute demon up to 8500rpm and the sound of the Tegiwa is just evil haha.

Overall a hugely successful day and massive thanks go out to the lads at TDI, I believe my car is the first fully road legal EP3 to be running TDI's drop in cams and to make 246bhp is amazing, I am going to run and enjoy this set up for a few months and next spring will add an exhaust manifold and 400CEL cat and look to map up to around 255bhp :) a few photos of the day below... (sorry about the poor quality)

27.11.12 1.jpg27.11.12 2.jpg27.11.12 6.jpg27.11.12 4.jpg27.11.12 3.jpg27.11.12 7.jpg27.11.12 9.jpg27.11.12 8.jpg27.11.12 11.jpg

Back