• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Pete's TDi North/Grinspeed tuned NHB CTR & BMW 335i Coupe

I know what you mean mate, my bonnet looks like a second hand dartboard with the amount of chips it has :lol:
How do you go about protecting the carbon bonnet from UV rays etc? I noticed the lacquer can peel and go cloudy if poorly maintained

Yeah those carbon mugen style spoliers look fantastic, I think fitment wise they vary in quality but if you can get it sitting right they do look really well.
The carbon bootlids are might expensive unfortunately and there is also the added cost of transferring the rear windscreen which is around £100.
Yeah I totally understand where you are coming from regarding the exhaust & throttle body, it is a lot of money for very little gain unfortunately, truth be told it's unlikely you would feel the benefit of an extra 4 to 5 peak bhp. I think a supercharger would be a good move if it's tempting you :)
not that i'm trying to get you to spend money haha

The LSD would be the perfect next step for yours mate, I really can’t put into words how much difference it makes (but i'll try), it’s something that would aid your setup in terms of grip, handling and driver control. Yeah it helps distribute the power delivery perfectly to the front wheels so pulling away and launching is greatly improved, it’s an awesome bit of kit. Powering out of corners is where it works best for me because previously the car felt twitchy at times when coming out of corners whereas the diff just keeps the power on the tarmac rather than wheel spinning/torque steering all over the place.

You will probably find you have to gently feed the power at the moment when driving quickly into bends but the diff will allow you to keep your foot planted :) makes the car safer to drive and a lot more enjoyable

Basically what I’m saying is GET IT DONE :cool:

To be honest mate I haven't put any protection onto the bonnet as yet but have read that a couple of the meguiars polish products are recommended to build up a coat on top of the carbon fibre, the car is due a clean this weekend (weather permitting) so will do the bonnet at the same time.

Yeah there are a few horror stories about carbon spoilers not sitting right but like you said if you can get it sitting flush they definitely look the part, I saw an EP3 with a mugen style carbon spoiler at the Japshow and it was such a good fitment it looked standard.

The only thing that does make me think about swapping the exhaust again is the 400cel cat, its not really been put to the test much and when I had the emissions tested (although the car was cold) it did fail slightly on the CO2 element of the test so my thoughts are if its going to fail the test anyway without a bit of help from a tester then I might as well run a full decat setup and remove the restriction, if I do swap the exhaust then I would just upgrade the throttle body at the same time. See I am already talking myself into it sh*t haha...

The LSD gets a great review from everyone whos got one and definitely makes sense with running a tuned EP3, its good to hear that it not only assist the power delivery exiting the twistys but when pulling away and putting the power down on the straights too.
I can't see the clutch lasting too much longer to be honest because its the original one so I would probably go for the LSD, Stage 2 clutch and lightened flywheel all at the same time.

So am I going to be able to twist your arm for JAE? :D

LSD is probably the best mod I've got so far!

Stop it chop you and Ben are making me want to spend too much money haha, its good to hear that it makes such an improvement especially as its not a cheap modification, its like the FRSU though in terms of never hearing a bad word about it :)

^^ This!! 250bhp through front wheels needs LSD in my opinion.... youll definitely notice a massive difference mate!!

Your right bowman, agreed that an LSD would definitely be a benefit with running over 250bhp going through the front wheels - I better get saving or rob a bank haha :)

To be honest mate I haven't put any protection onto the bonnet as yet but have read that a couple of the meguiars polish products are recommended to build up a coat on top of the carbon fibre, the car is due a clean this weekend (weather permitting) so will do the bonnet at the same time.

Yeah there are a few horror stories about carbon spoilers not sitting right but like you said if you can get it sitting flush they definitely look the part, I saw an EP3 with a mugen style carbon spoiler at the Japshow and it was such a good fitment it looked standard.

The only thing that does make me think about swapping the exhaust again is the 400cel cat, its not really been put to the test much and when I had the emissions tested (although the car was cold) it did fail slightly on the CO2 element of the test so my thoughts are if its going to fail the test anyway without a bit of help from a tester then I might as well run a full decat setup and remove the restriction, if I do swap the exhaust then I would just upgrade the throttle body at the same time. See I am already talking myself into it sh*t haha...

The LSD gets a great review from everyone whos got one and definitely makes sense with running a tuned EP3, its good to hear that it not only assist the power delivery exiting the twistys but when pulling away and putting the power down on the straights too.
I can't see the clutch lasting too much longer to be honest because its the original one so I would probably go for the LSD, Stage 2 clutch and lightened flywheel all at the same time.

So am I going to be able to twist your arm for JAE? :D

Yeah let us know how you get on with the cleaning mate, be good to see what you use on the bonnet :)
I know what mean about the spoilers, it would be a bit gutting paying all that money for one which didn't sit right and needed work to get it right.
Like yourself I want one at some point but due to the price of them it will have to wait a long time yet.

:cool:sounds like you are already coming round to the idea of a full de-cat system :) get a full 12 months MOT stamp (13 if you plan it right) and then go for a TDI/Solid fab 3" system, that way you can forget about the MOT for a year and see how it benefits your setup once mapped.

Yup LSD is something that would be perfect for your car now, as Bowman said you could drop in a different final drive while the box is out too :)
I'm running the Stage 1 Exedy clutch on mine which is rated to over 300bhp, feels like the standard clutch in all honesty, possibly slightly heavier but its marginal.

Not sure about JAE yet mate, I would love to go but I have already used up all of my holiday entitlement in work until Janaury and don't really have any camping gear at the moment. If I do make an appearance it would probably just be an all day thing on maybe the Saturday because I am keen to have a look :) are you going for the full weekend mate?

Yeah let us know how you get on with the cleaning mate, be good to see what you use on the bonnet :)
I know what mean about the spoilers, it would be a bit gutting paying all that money for one which didn't sit right and needed work to get it right.
Like yourself I want one at some point but due to the price of them it will have to wait a long time yet.

:cool:sounds like you are already coming round to the idea of a full de-cat system :) get a full 12 months MOT stamp (13 if you plan it right) and then go for a TDI/Solid fab 3" system, that way you can forget about the MOT for a year and see how it benefits your setup once mapped.

Yup LSD is something that would be perfect for your car now, as Bowman said you could drop in a different final drive while the box is out too :)
I'm running the Stage 1 Exedy clutch on mine which is rated to over 300bhp, feels like the standard clutch in all honesty, possibly slightly heavier but its marginal.

Not sure about JAE yet mate, I would love to go but I have already used up all of my holiday entitlement in work until Janaury and don't really have any camping gear at the moment. If I do make an appearance it would probably just be an all day thing on maybe the Saturday because I am keen to have a look :) are you going for the full weekend mate?

I am travelling down on the Friday morning mate and staying through until Sunday, really looking forward to it in all honesty with it being my first JAE :)
Yeah you should try and make the journey down buddy even if its just the Saturday if you have used up all of your holiday at work, I am taking a two man tent which you can always kip in if you did come down on the Saturday and wanted to stay until the Sunday.

Cheers Pete :) I thought you were at JAE last year?

How do you rate the Skunk 2 weighted gear knob mate? I have ordered a M Factory one from Eightspeed but apparently they have been discontinued so I might not end up getting one, the only other alternative I would like is the Skunk really.

I was going to go last year mate but couldn't make it in the end so I am really looking forward to it this year.

Shame about the M Factory being discontinued but the Skunk 2 is a nice item pal much heavier than the OEM gear knob, I have had mine fitted a while now so take it for granted but you will feel a small improvement once fitted and selecting the gears.

Nice one Pete :) bit gutted about the M Factory but Stevie at Eightspeed is doing his best to source one so there is still a chance.
Really do like the Skunk weighted gear knobs too though, have you changed the shifter bushes on yours?

Thinking of doing the job lot with bushes, short shifter and a weighted gearknob but there seems to be mixed feedback with the solid shifter bushes.

Nice one Pete :) bit gutted about the M Factory but Stevie at Eightspeed is doing his best to source one so there is still a chance.
Really do like the Skunk weighted gear knobs too though, have you changed the shifter bushes on yours?

Thinking of doing the job lot with bushes, short shifter and a weighted gearknob but there seems to be mixed feedback with the solid shifter bushes.

IIRC I read somewhere that the tegiwa solid shift bushes are no good because they have no play in them, but the hybrid racing ones do. So may be worth looking into them :)

edit - http://www.hybrid-racing.com/store/performance-shifter-cable-bushings.html

Last edited by a moderator:

You never know mate they might be able to source one for you, there's bound to be somewhere who's still holding a stock of them, if not though you won't go too far wrong with the Skunk 2 version.

i haven't changed the bushes just literally swapped over the gear knob, I might look at getting a short shifter installed at some point but there are other mods/upgrades I would do first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow where have the last three months gone? I can't believe my last post was back in August and I had to trawl through the pages to find my build thread lol.

Well the civic went for its MOT today, the first one since the Japspeed manifold and 400cel cat was installed - it passed the test with just one advisory regards an ARB ball joint but I can breath again for another 12months.
The emissions needed some "gentle persuasion" whether its due to the cat being further down the system and not reaching the temperature it would bolted to the manifold I don't know but basically it's not really doing anything at the moment so I might as well run a full decat set-up.

Mod wise there's nothing really to report and I have just been enjoying the current set-up, however, the plans for the new year are to fit some eibach lowering springs, LCA's and lower tie bar - closer to the summer I'm then looking at a visit to Grinspeed for a new clutch, LSD and lightened flywheel install.

Fingers crossed for a dry day tomorrow and I'm going to treat the civic to a full detail in time for the winter months.

Well you have some great things in the pipeline. You doing it the right way too. The Diff will make a huge difference to the car with your mods. Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Im good thanks. No plans yet, putting the turbo kit up for sale at the weekend, which will hopefully get her a new car without hitting the savings or Canada fund. Not decided what to do with the motor and box yet. Ive fallen out with cars recently, just going to get Christmas and New Year out the way and see how I feel about sticking it in the EJ9.

How are you doing? Hope all is well down in Telford.

Well you have some great things in the pipeline. You doing it the right way too. The Diff will make a huge difference to the car with your mods. Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Im good thanks. No plans yet, putting the turbo kit up for sale at the weekend, which will hopefully get her a new car without hitting the savings or Canada fund. Not decided what to do with the motor and box yet. Ive fallen out with cars recently, just going to get Christmas and New Year out the way and see how I feel about sticking it in the EJ9.

How are you doing? Hope all is well down in Telford.

Thanks Tom, I agree the LSD should be a great addition - although the clutch seems to have a bit of life left yet so I wanted to wait and get everything done at the same time to save duplicating some labour costs.

Glad to hear you are well, it's still a shame thinking of your civic being broken but you should get a good price for your turbo kit and if you get the good lady a new car that will keep her happy lol, my other half doesn't drive but my sister is about to start learning and says she wants a type r god help us haha.

Hope the savings for Canada are going well, very sensible idea mate getting out of the UK and I hear only good things about Canada :)

Sticking the K20 in the EJ9 would definitely be fun but I guess with how much time and effort you put into the ep3 it's if you can be bothered at this moment in time haha - anything other than the EJ in mind or are you keeping it with or without the K20 going in? You must be loving the money you are saving on fuel though :)

congrats on passing the MOT.

I remember a while ago reading a thread on Civinfo where people were failing MOTs with sports cats fitted. I think that came down to temps as well

Back