• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Petrol, Constantly filling up!

on my MAC course i was encouraged to pull off in second gear under normal driving and block changes as grctyper has described driving this way does give much improved mpg

Didnt see that thread.
Normal driving:
about 300 pre charger
about 270 with the Rotrex.

worst ever is still a track day I did before getting the charger. took about 30L for 80 miles... ouch. That was before getting track driving lessons ;)

Managed 350 from a tank yesterday, and thats mainly motorway driving and not booting it. Oo

I rarely see over 300. I've had about 320 before driving like a granny but I average around 250-270 which is poor considering I'm using high octane now. I don't boot it everywhere so no idea where there miles have gone?

I read an interesting article in AutoExpress earlier this year about a chap who did some research into driving techniques and fuel economy. Apparently the most economical way to drive is to floor the accelerator every time you need to accelerate but lifting off when not. He also said that you should change gears at 2000rpm in all gears. Tried this in the CTR, but theres just no torque <2krpm. So I guess this technique is best suited to "normal" cars.

For the chaps who get 350+, do you ever vtec?

One last thing, is it more economical to use the mid range torque (2k-4k revs) that something like a gruppem gives than to rev it gently to say 5k-6k revs before changing up? This is when driving around town. To use the mid range torque you have to open the throttle more than revving it gently to 5-6k. Any thoughts?

What the bollox is that all about??

If we changed gear at 2000 rpm from 4th to 5th in a normal non close ratio car the bloody engine would drop below tickover revs.

The most economical way to drive any engine is the one that gives the highest mileage return per tank. We just gotta find this method and practice it.

I would imagine keeping the engine revs constant throughout upshifting and downshifting would give a more reasonable return than booting it.

What the bollox is that all about??quote]

It was a proven technique by academics. They tested it against someone driving in what was most widely considered as the most economic driving technique, i.e. slowly etc, and this "new" technique returned quite a bit more than that.

IIRC its based on the theory that if you partially open the throttle it is very inefficient, whereas it is much more efficient to keep the throttle wide open and closed when not needed. The 2000rpm thing was the point at which friction or something becomes too much for fuel economy. Shame I don't have the article anymore, but if anyone else reads AE, I'm sure they'd come across it.

Don't knock it until you've tried it mate.;)

What the bollox is that all about??quote]

It was a proven technique by academics. They tested it against someone driving in what was most widely considered as the most economic driving technique, i.e. slowly etc, and this "new" technique returned quite a bit more than that.

IIRC its based on the theory that if you partially open the throttle it is very inefficient, whereas it is much more efficient to keep the throttle wide open and closed when not needed. The 2000rpm thing was the point at which friction or something becomes too much for fuel economy. Shame I don't have the article anymore, but if anyone else reads AE, I'm sure they'd come across it.

Don't knock it until you've tried it mate.;)

That technique would need to be adapted to each engine. With a good map a k20 can be quite economical. It all depends what you're after.
it would actually be interesting if you could find the article back.

I have had my new ctr for about 2-3 weeks and have had a max of 300 miles from a full tank and min of bout 190 ( only use high octane fuel ) personally i think if your gettin over 340 to a tank there is no point in ownin a type r coz u probably never go over 4,000 revs...:p

300 miles is a realistic target for sensible driving in the EP3.

On a "spirited" drive sub 200 is not hard to reach. :smt047 :twisted:

i find that my ep3 drinks alot more fuel than average. i tend to keep getting 220miles out of a full tank with no vtec-ing, hard driving. just normal shifting at 3 - 3.5k rpm. driving in peak traffic a bit but not very heavy.driving 40 mins to work and back. many others seem to get a lot more under my driving conditions.any thoughts on this ? appreciate any input on this.

i find that my ep3 drinks alot more fuel than average. i tend to keep getting 220miles out of a full tank with no vtec-ing, hard driving. just normal shifting at 3 - 3.5k rpm. driving in peak traffic a bit but not very heavy.driving 40 mins to work and back. many others seem to get a lot more under my driving conditions.any thoughts on this ? appreciate any input on this.

are you shifting up a gear when you reach 3.5k :eek::confused:

surely that is bad for your engine... it's meant to rev up, not to be driven like my mum would!
more seriously, you high consumption might just come from this. there is no torque whatsoever at those revs, so try giving it a bit more. if anything the 3K till 5.5k would be the most efficient torque band. and you wont stress your internals as much.
I hope you do give it some good red-lining from time to time though...

to give you an idea, I get 200 miles to a tank by revving very often to 8500 :twisted: and running 16 psi of boost on my standard engine... I would HOPE you'd get a good chunk more than me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do find it sufficient and that there is enough torque shifting at 3.5 rpm up a gear, reason being that i have a jap spec ep3. but i was doing testing to see the best mileage i can for the car without driving it hard. however if it was a uphill i wouldnt being shifting at 3.5k rpm. I do run it to redline every now and then but not at the time when trying to see what i could get driving sedately and all. getting 200miles a tank for a boosted ep3 is very good and my ep3 being stock apart from a cat-back i thought i should see better fuel consumption. can anyone shed some light on my high fuel consumption ?

i get between 270 and 320 miles when the yellow reminder light comes on. That`s with normal driving around town, and a few vtec bursts to and from work.

Probably something to do with the temperature lately? Fuel/Air ratios? Using the heater more?

I tend to get around 280-310miles to a tank now, thats with the odd vtec's. Though I don't vtec as much these days as I have a lot more torque low down now - very good for driving around town.

usually get 250-275 on full tank, but i have noticed when im not filling it completely, only £20 or £30 i always seem to be going back with in two days but £30 is only getting bout 27 litres now so i think petrol prices might be making it seem worse for you

London driving 200 to a tank - aprox 20mpg

Cant rember what out of town driving is like 350 I think

Back