• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Petrol Smell in oil filler cap

I've just had my head gasket replaced 2 weeks ago and through my paranoia i've been constantly checking my oil and water levels. But yesterday, first time I noticed that there is a smell of petrol on my oil filler cap. I pulled out the dipstick and smelt it and there is a smell of petrol on here aswell and the level of oil looks above the maximum level by half a centimetre. What could be going wrong now?! I checked it in that morning and it smelt like oil, but few hours later and today, it smells like fuel. I figured that it may be because its cold and im using 0w-30 oil so i took it for a 20 mile easy drive on the motorway and back to burn off any excess crap that could be in there but as I came home and went through a few traffic lights i noticed a juddering as if it was misfiring sometimes possibly through some wet spark plugs.

Could the mechanics have botched up one of the seals or gaskets when there were fitting the replacement head gasket set or is it normal to smell some petrol in the crank? I'm getting overly paranoid these days over my car. Does your oil filler cap have a hint of petrol smell about it?

Also, last night I noticed that the engine management light started flashing then it went back to normal.
HELP!

Back