• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Piano Black Trim Chip and Scratch Repair?

Hi FK2 Bredren

Wondering if anyone of you owners have attempted to repair the Piano Black trim on you cars, which we also have on the FK8

Despite having 1) Reversing Camera, 2) Reversing beeps 3) Cant use the wing as an excuse - I managed to reverse into a nice Merc A class the other night. I was at the gym and something (or somebodies) distracted me... Due to the 'busyness' shall we say of our rear ends with quite a few different angles and contact points, made a bit of a mess of her wing with minor cosmetic damage to mine - heart breaking....

I took out Smart Insurance, but while they will happily look at the inch or so scratch, they wont touch the Piano Black trim chips. Anyone who had/has an FK2 dealt with these or have any advice? Would other smart repairers have a go? Will post in that section to...

Rather than a smart repair I'd probably be minded to remove the parts, have them filled and repaired and completely resprayed. My mate had some "smart" work done on his Golf R recently and it was just terrible. 200 quid down the drain and another 200 quid down a proper shop to remove and respray the whole thing to correct due to poor colour match...plus Black colours are tough matches...you'll probably see it, know it's there and it'll do your head in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the piano black parts come from Honda painted. Have you been to your Honda dealer to see how much the individual replacement parts are? it might be just as cost effective to replace them and usually bumpers and trim just snap on and off with a few clips. As easy as Lego.

All the piano black parts come from Honda painted. Have you been to your Honda dealer to see how much the individual replacement parts are? it might be just as cost effective to replace them and usually bumpers and trim just snap on and off with a few clips. As easy as Lego.

I’ve scratched my side skirt. Geezer at Honda said it’d cost “£100s” to replace. It’ll be far cheaper just getting it resprayed.

When I got rear ended :bump: last month I was surprised the entire piano black rear diffuser section was £290. I didn’t think that was too bad, considering it’s supplied painted. I was expected £1000ish.

When I got rear ended :bump: last month I was surprised the entire piano black rear diffuser section was £290. I didn’t think that was too bad, considering it’s supplied painted. I was expected £1000ish.

Interesting. I’ll have to get my scratch sorted soon as yesterday I jetwashed some more of the paint off haha! It’s gonna have to be resprayed again anyway so at least I’m gonna be getting my moneys worth, or at least that’s what I keep telling myself...

Interesting. I’ll have to get my scratch sorted soon as yesterday I jetwashed some more of the paint off haha! It’s gonna have to be resprayed again anyway so at least I’m gonna be getting my moneys worth, or at least that’s what I keep telling myself...

If they unclip as easily as said above then I'd get them resprayed/repaired. It'll most likely be the most cost effective option but worth checking pricing on replacements in case as that would be easier in the long run

If they unclip as easily as said above then I'd get them resprayed/repaired. It'll most likely be the most cost effective option but worth checking pricing on replacements in case as that would be easier in the long run

I rang Honda and it’s costing me £210 for a new side skirt painted and fitted. I figured for that price I may as well get a brand new one rather than mess about having the clips plastic welded and skirt resprayed. I couldn’t believe how cheap it was if I’m honest. I was expecting £500 onwards.

Funny ain't it. If you were buying a piece of shiny black plastic guttering you'd scoff at paying £20. but as its a shiny black plastic side skirt, £200+ is fine.

By time you take into account a bodyshop technician's time filling, sanding, priming, painting, clear coat etc etc. You may as well just buy a new one.

By time you take into account a bodyshop technician's time filling, sanding, priming, painting, clear coat etc etc. You may as well just buy a new one.

That’s what I thought mate. It’s funny cos I’m a welder by trade and I’ve never done any plastic welding in my life or ever met anyone who can! So much easier to let Honda clip a new one on, cheers!

Back