• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

piggy back ecu

Hi Iv had a read on the sticky section and IV had a search but I'm still puzzled regarding piggy back ECUs, I want full exhaust system including decat and manifold and induction kit, I want to map the ecu so I get the most out of my mods Wich I'm led to believe wil deliver. Approximately 240-250bhp.

Right so what's a piggy back ecu?
how much are they?
What's are the best makes?

Sorry for being a noob I just don't want to spend thousands if not needed

Piggy back ECU's are a bit of a half way house. They offer an after market map which is non tunable, but will be better over OEM. They are not tailored to your specific mods, so although they're likely to give gains over OEM, they will be nowhere near as good as a tunable ECU such as a Hondata Kpro or K100.

As you're asking these sort of questions about ECU's, I'm guessing you're not tuning savvy, so like the others, I would recommend you go for a K100 and get someone who knows what they're doing to tune your car on a dyno. Obviously this will be more expensive than a piggyback ECU, but it's a bit of a false economy as you will get far better results with a K100.

Piggy back ECU's are a bit of a half way house. They offer an after market map which is non tunable, but will be better over OEM.

Not entirely true. Most are tunable (e.g. Unichip) but are more limited in what can be tweaked. Depending on the mods on the car, the gains from a piggyback ECU can be comparable to that of a K100/KPro.

A piggy back ECU Is exactly
That

A 'piggy back'

An ecu that 'latches on' to the OEM
Ecu and interrupts the OEM ECUs signals and deliver it's own.

Kpro/k100 are Piggybacks albeit in a mother/daughterboard format.

Exactly the same.

A piggy back ECU Is exactly
That

A 'piggy back'

An ecu that 'latches on' to the OEM
Ecu and interrupts the OEM ECUs signals and deliver it's own.

Kpro/k100 are Piggybacks albeit in a mother/daughterboard format.

Exactly the same.

Stand-alone is the way to ultimately go as long as full dash functions can be retained.
Way to think about piggyback is like a puppeteer. It's just pulling the strings to make the OEM work how you want.
Some Piggybacks are really good like the HKS with loads of added functions and possibility to run several different maps together or even overlaid. Some are really crude like the emanage.

Hondata you cannot say is a piggyback in any shape or form and it's the OEM ECU and the code is written directly to the ecus EPROM. All the daughter boards do is basically tell the ecu that it running a modified code. No data is stored on the hondata boards.

Back