• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

piper sports cat failed on emissions

Ljw

I had a piper manifold and sports cat fitted to my car around a year ago with the O2 sensor also. First mot I've took it too after being fitted it has failed on exhaust emissions. I had it fitted by abp motorsport I've contacted them and they said that they cat has too get really hot before its tested. I took the car on motorway etc still did not pass. What are my options? I feel annoyed to be honest because the whole point of having a sports cat was to make my life easier.

You'll either need to get a more effective cat, put the OEM one back on or find a friendly MOT guy.

You'll need the MOT tester to give the car a good revving before testing. No good driving the car as the catalytic converter will have cooled down at the time of test.
Sports catalytic converters always struggle come testing time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As above keep the revs around 3-4k for a few minutes then test it. My MOT guy is an old friend of my Dad and is a top bloke, I put a manifold and cat off a DC5 on mine and first attempt it failed on emissions we did what I just said and I held it at the revs he wanted and it passed.

He mentioned that it cools down when they are testing other things and it happens quite often. The DC5 cat is slightly freer flowing than the U.K EP3 but I didn't expect to have any issues at all and I did so I imagine an actual sports cat would need to be kept revving for a good couple of minutes before testing.

Back