• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Please help me! Lost all me gears

Jumped in the R after work went up my street stopped at a roundabout and lost all my gears managed get it into 3rd put me clutch in and wouldn't go back in any gear, pulled over for 5 mins had a look then it would only go in 5th. Left it ten mins reversed out a street and before I lifted my clutch back up she started rolling slowly on her own managed get her home. Me old man took it the same route and went in every gear?????

Had a new clutch two month ago but clutch feels mint still.
Did notice that an engine mount had slitley shifted to one side??

So confused men any help??

Thanks a lot

Just been out again got a mile down the road and lost all gears again had to force into 3rd??

Is it my gearbox syncros?

If a mount has moved or split, the gear linkages between the lever and box will be all out of place and so the lever movements won't correspond to a gear placement. Probably best looking at that first.

Thank you Loxy that's a massive help, I took it out again just and when engines off gears are perfect got to top of my street and lost all gears again but I coasted back down and when timed right the gear will go in and doesn't grind doing it, but what threw me off was when in 1st or reverse and my clutch is in it pulls like I'm activatubg the clutch. Checked all linkages and cables, spent half an hour searching the forum for clues. A new engine mount would be a blessing haha

Really apreaciate the reply

Check the gear box linkage on top of the gearbox under the OEM filter/battery area, make sure they've put the split pins back in correctly and linkages ***'nt fallen out ...:confused:

Check the gear box linkage on top of the gearbox under the OEM filter/battery area, make sure they've put the split pins back in correctly and linkages ***'nt fallen out ...:confused:

All checked and correct everything looks fine on that front :/

Thank you for the reply

A friend of a friend who ownes his own garage and only reason I took it there was because he's done a lot of them in the past, so you think it's clutch related??

Thanks for the reply

Well if it's not the linkages then it could be something to do with the clutch wouldn't you agree? :lol:

Well if it's not the linkages then it could be something to do with the clutch wouldn't you agree? :lol:

I'm with you Chris I did think clutch but like me and loxy were talking about my engine mount has shifted to one side so I thought maybe when revs are activated and my engine moves the gears have trouble engaging, but also seen a lot of posts about gearbox syncros before last night I didn't even know what they were, I can get all my gears when I start my car but don't move it anywhere but when it's warm/driven for 5-10 mins low speed I lose them all if timed right in coast they will slot in with no crunch and clutch pedal feels fine I'm lost hah

Ta for reply mate

Could be engine movement related or something breaking down when hot. I'd be getting the guy that changed it to have a look.

So managed to get all my gears back and as smooth as ever, I wasn't about to give in and just send her away haha, I realigned the shifted engine mount and boom perfect. Just gotta find out why it moved in first place

Thank you for all the help this site is top of its game :) pure knowledge haha

Because I'm now curious, which engine mount? In order for any of them to move a reasonable distance more than one of them would have to be in an unpleasant state I think.

Because I'm now curious, which engine mount? In order for any of them to move a reasonable distance more than one of them would have to be in an unpleasant state I think.

Aup Mike after I moved the engine mount under the air box got every gear like nothing had happened, tested it for an hour at normal speed and everything was fine, put me foot down see if the mount would move again and they have become stiff again no grinding but really hard to get into any gear going have another play now see if I can spot anything else :/ driving me crazy

Thanks guys

If it wasn't for having two months off work because I burnt me knees off hah I'd just go buy new engine mounts and try that first or is it my clutch or syncros I'm just trying get the best diagnosis as possible hah

And found the little bugger! The engine mount has ripped couldn't get a visual so used camera in a phone and I could see straight threw the rubber! New engine mount and all should be ok hah

Burnt your knees off, what happened!? My money would be on new engine mounts at a guess, doubt it would be the sychros if everything worked as normal after you moved it. Probably all moved again when you put your foot down!

I must learn to type faster haha, glad you found the issue and hope that sorts it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Burnt your knees off, what happened!? My money would be on new engine mounts at a guess, doubt it would be the sychros if everything worked as normal after you moved it. Probably all moved again when you put your foot down!

I must learn to type faster haha, glad you found the issue and hope that sorts it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Oh mate knelt down in cement while laying a driveway, burnt me knees and half me shin off absolute nightmare,

Burnt down deep surgeon wanted me have skin grafts but I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to hospitals haha

I was hoping it wasn't me syncros didn't need a big job on hahaha get typing mate and thank you appreciate it mukka

Back