• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Possible bottom end engine fail? With video!

That don't sound too healthy mate! It sounds like bottom end will need a complete overhaul!
If you're good with spanners then it's just time consuming and it could be put right with little money!
Otherwise have a mechanic look at it and give you an idea of how much it's going to cost and avoid driving it in that condition!

Forgot to mention, also make sure to check the cat has not come apart inside as bits inside could make funny noises, if that's not the case then its engine related! Hope I'm wrong as k20s don't come cheap!

I think it's the bearing in the water pump has shít itself. Sounds the exact same as when my housemates water pump went in his Impreza. The chap he bought it off thought it was the big end bearings going so he got it cheap. Changed waterpump and no more noise.

If its just the water pump that would be awesome but I'm not getting my hopes up.
A mechanic friend of mine is coming today to have a look, so will find out the diagnosis soon enough

I think it's the water pump because the car sounds fine while idling down the rev range after you give a quick blip.

I believe I have spun a big end bearing,
watched quite a few videos of other ep3's that have spun a bearing and it sounds almost identicle.

Hopefully the crank isn't damaged so it will just be a case of another set of bearings

Back