• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Possible missfire/hesitantcy type r civic

Hi all i know this is my first post so i would like to say hello to you all.I have a 52 civic type r and it seem to have a very slight missfire/hesitantcy and low speeds.It occurs when changing gear at low revs.when you accelerate it initially seems to missfire/hesitate then go.It is fine at higher speeds and hits v tec fine.i had the car serviced 2 thousand miles ago and the only mod on the car is a custom rear box.I need to get this sorted asap as im going to the ring in a few weeks.any advice would be great.:D

Hello & welcome

I'm by far the greatest mind on here. Someone knowledgeable will be along soon.

Only thing i'd suggest is oil levels.

Does it do it when cold and still do it when the engine is hot/up to temp..?

No engine management light on the dash..?

What mileage is on it, when were the plugs last done..? the valve clearances last done..?

I'd check all the intake piping and sensors first, make sure that is all in order, then lift each plug and check the colour, see if there is any discrepancy in air/fuel mixture. Get a compression test done to see if there is any leak, possible H/G, then last of all have the timing chain checked for position.

Could be something simple like the valve clearances or could be something thats a bit of a pain in the arse like the chain. Any other mods on it..?

missfire

Ive had it plugged in and there are no fault codes.The plugs were changed 2000 miles ago.The car has just turned 70,000 miles.It seems to do it all the time hot or cold other than this problem which is a bit of a pain the car runs fine.The plugs i got are iridium ones from ebay im not sure if they are ok or not.There arent any other mods on the car and i dont think its ever had the valve clearances done.What does that involve?

Could just be valve clearances then dude, they are supposed to be done every 25k.

Could also just be a dirty idle air control valve, might be worth cleaning that as well.

Is it a hard job to do the valve clearances?im a bit of a newbie with these cars to be honest.I have a mate that has his own garage and he is very good so im hoping he could do it for me?

It's not a difficult job to do, but I wouldn't be able to tell you how. Honda don't charge that much, think it's an hour labour not sure. If your friend can get the correct clearance specs and remembers to do it on a stone cold engine then he'll have no probs doing it I expect.

NN - does the car have to be stone cold? ie if I am driving my car 60 miles to get it serviced, how long should the mechanics wait before touching the valve clearances?

There is a specific temp it must be below, can't remember what that is though. It can be done the same day if they wait for the temp to drop.

NN - does the car have to be stone cold? ie if I am driving my car 60 miles to get it serviced, how long should the mechanics wait before touching the valve clearances?

It's generally best if the car is with them the night before so it's stone cold when they come to work on it.

Back