• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Possible water pump failure? Help please.

I have a ep3 facelift (54). It's been making a very faint whirring sound for about a month now and I disregarded it as a loose belt. I started the car up today and there was a very loud whirring/clicking sound and a faint smell of burning rubber. I think it's the water pump as the temperature gauge went up a lot quicker than normal.after about 10 minutes of checking the belt with the engine running I turned it off left it for 30 secs and turned it back on. The sound was gone but returned again after 30 seconds of it running.

Just a couple of questions:

Are there any more belts than the auxiliary one you can see running?

And what exactly does the auxiliary belt turn so I check all the pulleys?

Thanks in advance, Dan.

Daft thought maybe but it's not the headlight adjuster is it? I've heard of them whirring & clicking, it just doesn't explain your smell of rubber

The belt drives the alternator not sure if anything else is driven by it

Thanks for the replies. I'll check the headlights just to be sure but I don't think it's that. Does anybody know exactly what the auxiliary belt drives? Poss pics?

It drives the power steering pump and aircon if you have it fitted, along with the water pump and alternator.

Back