• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Potential FK8 owner

Hello everyone,my first post on here!

If I do buy one of the latest Civic type Rs I may well be the oldest owner in the UK...let's just say my age starts with a 6!

In the past I have previously owned 2 type Rs...or should I say three,because back in '96 I bought a new Prelude 2.2 vTec,surely a type R in all but name!

After that I had an Accord type R and more recently an FN2 Civic,a 2011 car,one of the last with the standard lsd.

All three were Milano red,bit sorry really that they have changed to a different red for the FK8 because I'll probably end up with another red car,although daughter says it should be white...we'll see.

I've had many cars in the past but here I am at the moment with a BMW M140i,10 months old,sort of a second fun type car so only on 3k miles at present...why do I want to change?
Best way of describing the BM is that it's turned out to be too much of a cruiser, although a very fast one.The engine is brilliant,so is the 8 speed auto box (manual ones are less good)...then there is the rest of the car!
Ride and handling are not good (the BM fans spend loads to improve it,lsd suspension kits, M spec control arms etc., etc.
Steering dead,seats not great for me,neither are the too understated looks...so I need something to excite me a bit more in my declining years,and something with a good manual gearbox.

With all the great reviews I've read of the FK8 it seems like it should meet my needs.

Looking to buy probably next March and obviously I will have a test drive at some point.

Questions for now:

Is there much of a waiting list for new orders?
Discount?...not much I suppose...Coast2Coast show £945 off a GT version.
Not a prime consideration,but I assume motorway refinement is OK? Can't find anywhere what the gearing is in terms of rpm per 000 revs in top gear?

Thanks for reading. :)

Hey XK140, welcome!

I am always staggered with just how subtle the M140i and the rest in that family range are, compared to the performance. You really couldn't tell it apart from a 116 M Sport if you're a non car person, even if you did notice the brakes, silver mirrors. pipes etc. Certainly something you couldn't say about the Civic!!! That's the only thing you may miss is the engine. Not been in a BM, but all the reviews say that engine is a sledgehammer, so be interested to hear what you think after the test drive.

Motorway cruising is great in the FK8....whack it in comfort and it just munches the miles. Waiting list I believe can be a good 6 months.....deposit no idea now, certainly was nothing when I bought.

Oh and white is the best colour.

Book your test drive!!!

age is just numbers to me as i shill ride bikes fireblade, hornet and looking for a kawasaki zxr rr and I'm not slow ask my mates , my age is 68

XK140 hi there, you're in a good place. Watch, then go and get one.

[video=youtube;25UTt-05QK4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25UTt-05QK4[/video]

age is just numbers to me as i shill ride bikes fireblade, hornet and looking for a kawasaki zxr rr and I'm not slow ask my mates , my age is 68

The Dales have some wonderful roads

Hang on a minute im the oldest FK8 Type R owner........surely im not going to lose my only "No 1 status"....
In answer to your "age" related questions.
Its a bit boomy on the motorway certainly more noisy than my Focus RS 3
The fuel economy is fanatstic considering, 40mpg plus on motorway is easily achievable at the legal limit.
Its easy to get in and out of.
I cant say im impressed with the quality or durability so far and what the hell is the roof panel made out of ??? I know weight is a consideration but ive had ready meals in thicker stuff !!

Still not been for a test drive yet...
I see that Autocar mag have got a full road test next week,if that reads as well as I think it should it may be a clincher...subject to the said test drive.

Regarding cruising refinement,the Autocar test data will show the gearing.A bit spoilt by the M140i 8 speed job where at 80mph the revs are only 2000...so not much engine noise but plenty of tyre roar!

Can't see it being a deal breaker,as long as on the motorway and I'm not reaching for a non existent extra gear it will be OK. :)

Still not been for a test drive yet...
I see that Autocar mag have got a full road test next week,if that reads as well as I think it should it may be a clincher...subject to the said test drive.

Regarding cruising refinement,the Autocar test data will show the gearing.A bit spoilt by the M140i 8 speed job where at 80mph the revs are only 2000...so not much engine noise but plenty of tyre roar!

Can't see it being a deal breaker,as long as on the motorway and I'm not reaching for a non existent extra gear it will be OK. :)

Autocar?! Check the evo super test, topgear test and pistonheads, all the info you need!!!

Autocar?! Check the evo super test, topgear test and pistonheads, all the info you need!!!

I've seen those,which are obviously favourable,and ,while all the opinions of motoring journalists can be taken with a pinch of salt,a full Autocar road test tends to have the most detail.
Anyway,some weeks ago they did a group test with seven other hot hatches/affordable performance cars and the Civic came top so I'm not expecting any surprises!

Welcome to the forum!

Was a £500 deposit for mine and a two month wait, but I know Polished Metal Metallic is now March or later. Others are a bit sooner.

I got servicing and GAP discounted and free mats, so not much but better than nothing.

Really refined compared to my previous Type Rs and also more practical and stupidly quick, so all in all I love it!

Welcome to the forum!

Was a £500 deposit for mine and a two month wait, but I know Polished Metal Metallic is now March or later. Others are a bit sooner.

I got servicing and GAP discounted and free mats, so not much but better than nothing.

Really refined compared to my previous Type Rs and also more practical and stupidly quick, so all in all I love it!

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm biding my time since I don't really want to change until next year.I also feel that once all the dealer demos are sold off and the normal hype surrounding a well received new car has died there will be a bit more discount.

Anyway,I've read the 8 page full Autocar road test and it's very good reading.
The only downsides being poor infotainment system,which most think is poor,especially the sat nav,and the others are really just nit picking things, such as some might not like the looks (what a surprise!), interior quality could be better,and they think the suspension tuning could be slightly better,more damping in comfort mode.

But it is the best available in their opinion,better than:

Second:Focus RS
Third:Golf R
Forth:A45
Fifth: Cupra 300

Where they place my M140i it doesn't say,but likely to be Sixth,unless you add £5k of after market suspension mods then IMO it would be near the top.

Infotainment system - depends what you're used to but I'm having no issues, works quickly, mirrors my phone, Sat Nav graphics aren't as bad as people make out.

Interior quality - I had a Merc C Class hire car this week whilst away with work, with leather, infotainment etc and I genuinely think my interior quality is no worse - seat comfort definitely better too.

Suspension - more to do with 20 inch wheels in Comfort Mode I suspect. It's really not much firmer than the standard Civic, particularly taking into account the wheels in this mode.

Beat the A45!!! Wow, didn't expect that.

As Welshy has said the infotainment is actually fine - quirky at first but my missus just got a new Mini Cooper S and I am never going to moan again, especially on the sat nav.

Suspension - 'more damping in comfort mode' - its a type r at the end of the day, the fact its got comfort at all should be a relative bonus (and has R fanboys blood pressure right up with anger)...

Off to Pistonheads sunday service at Silverstone on Sunday. 499 other car lovers and I see one more FK8 on the list - be good to know if its anyone's on here. Plenty of Golf R's and Focus RS to look down upon from a lofty height. In fact might take a few copies of autocar leave them open on the dash at the results page.....

Back