• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Potential FN2 purhcase - advice needed...

Hey folks,

I am new to the forum, but am a member on the other forum. However I am now making the jump from an EP3 (sold) to an FN2. It feels a bit daunting but after a few test drives in friends cars I am sold. So the search began a while ago.

Today I went and viewed a 57 plate with 70k on the clock - one previous owner (he was the second), FHSH, years MOT - not modified at present. The condition of the car really good and apart from a few little chips and a parking ding it was great on the outside. The inside - not bad at all. The gear gaitor was in a bad way, but he had a replacement that he hadn't been put on yet. Oil was good - no rust behind rubber on doors - all gears were good. I was mega happy and had to keep calm and not imagine myself driving away into the sunset with the new beast...:D

Anyways upon start up the engine management light was on and stayed on...my heart dropped. The reason given: Previously a stainless steel exhaust system was added for a bit more noise and this caused the light to come on. The owner left it as he didn't feel any reason to be concerned. He figured that it would go once the old one was put back on. He said that his friend (who works in a garage) used a code reader and said that it was the 'lamda' sensor and that it needed a new one to get rid of the light. Now I am fairly obsessed with the good old H brand and love the cars/dedication of the owners and love reading about the builds. However I am no mechanic and apart from all the common checks I've learnt from research, I am a bit clueless when people start talking about ECUs and sensors. The only other modifications had been to lower the VTEC to 4,000rpm and an air filter - not sure if this could have any effect?

As you can guess I didn't drop a deposit as I wanted to get some advice from you guys before my next step. Would this put you off?
Does the reasons given sound legit and is it simply a case of buying a new part, fitting it and voila no more light - or could it be something else?

Sorry for the long rant - after driving 200 miles any advice would be appreciated (I wasn't told about the light before going - probably wouldn't have spent £30 in fuel :evil:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would never buy a car with the engine management light on. He says it is that, but you've no way of knowing short of turning up with your own code reader.

Tell him if he wants to sell it, he should get it sorted, and have the receipts and then give you a call.

Then again there are loads for sale, chalk it up to experience and find another.

Thanks Loxy,

I really appreciate the advice. I think part of me knew to walk and was the reason I dragged myself away - however it is hard to not get wrapped up in the moment when viewing a new car that feels very modern and pretty amazing. Luckily I kept my sense about me.

Thanks again Loxy and on another note - awesome thread on your fn2...managed to burn a couple of hours reading it yesterday!

The search continues...

Back