• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Previous owner run my k20 low on oil

Hi chaps just got some bad news on the EP3.
The previous owner had run the engine low on oil :eek:and which made the timing chain jump 4 teeth which then made the EML light come on.

Now I have found out that the 3&4 cylinders are low on compression 3-180psi 4-100psi :( so it's in the garage tobe fixed, did want it for the japshow at Santa pod but I don't think it will be back in time.

If anyone has any suggestions then please I will listen to your knoledge!

Cheers Andy

How long have you had the car Andy, and have you had changed/topped up the oil since you bought it?

Afraid I cant offer any advice mate, sorry.

I have just been through a similar problem myself :( so feel your pain.

I initially tried to replace the timing chain myself but could move the bottom crank pulley (it's a garage job TBH)

Anyway I replaced the chain and tensioner, as the chain may of stretched and tensioner was probably the reason for the teeth jump (they use the oil pressure to create tension) The work was done by Honda who only charged £250 quid for the labour, as I had the parts already

My solve for the issue besides checking the oil weekly was to replace the tensioner with a Toda racing version which operates on a rachet system.

Alls well now and car feels quicker than ever :D:twisted:

Oh & my guess is that the compression issue is due to the timing and therefore should be ok once re-timed. (eg your valves open releasing pressure)

Last edited by a moderator:
James I have had the oil changed twice in the 2months of owning it! As looked on here and notice most people change their oil reguarly, so I have it changed once a month not that expensive to do it.

Hoydonk it's already been timed up on new chain so not sure about the compression issue luckly it's all under warranty with the garage I bought it from. There is a slight misfire @ 1-2rpm then clears and runs fine?!

Hoydonk it's already been timed up on new chain so not sure about the compression issue luckly it's all under warranty with the garage I bought it from. There is a slight misfire @ 1-2rpm then clears and runs fine?!

Did you replace the tensioner aswell?, sounds strange then to be getting low compression :confused:

FYI I drove my CTR for about 1 month with a similar teeth jump whilst waiting for the tensioner to come from Japan (no vtec tho :() and it doesn't seem to have any issues.

Might be worth me checking the compression

James I have had the oil changed twice in the 2months of owning it! As looked on here and notice most people change their oil reguarly, so I have it changed once a month not that expensive to do it.

:eek: There's nothing wrong with doing that, but once a month is a tad unnecessary, and expensive in the long term as well imo.

It's only been changed that many times due to the work been done on it.

Just spoke to the garage and he seems to think it's a valve? He is doing the tests on the head now.
The things that have been fitted are coils plugs timing chain. The car is at another garage now due to the other garage not really knowing what they where doing

It's only been changed that many times due to the work been done on it.

Just spoke to the garage and he seems to think it's a valve? He is doing the tests on the head now.
The things that have been fitted are coils plugs timing chain. The car is at another garage now due to the other garage not really knowing what they where doing

I'd recommend Honda :eek: I know there the stealers, but really impressed as had cheap work, quick turn round, and certainly know what they are doing.

Back