• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

problem after fitting manifold and decat

Hi. just had fitted a japspeed manifold and a decat pipe used the spacers forthe engine light not to come on but stil did!! left the gargage after a little drive my battery light came on and eps steering went hard aswell went back to the garage told my alternator is gone its not powering anything but it stil starts the car. just shocked out of the blue alternator gone just when i fitted the manifold and decat. the japseed decat is just not the right as the 02 sensor hole is fitted on the top and when you fit the sensor on the sensor it self touch`s the body of the car and it rattles! Iam not sure if the sensor has caused this problem to alternator? :confused:

The spacer isn't a guaranteed fix for Eml, you can get angled spacers from eBay which clear the heatshield

As for the alt going that could just be coinsidence

Not sure if a mani swap could have knocked it during fitting

I take it you've got the car now and it's not with the garage?

Fitting O2 sims or spacers with a race header is such a bodge way of doing it. We say it time and time again on the forum.

Anyway, the sensor shouldn't be loose, it certainly shouldn't be able to contact the car body. The ECU probably thinks something major has happened if the reader of the sensor has shorted out to earth (i.e. touched the car body).

I don't know off the top of my head which fuse to pull, but reset the ECU by pulling said fuse for 30 mins or simply disconnect the battery and leave it off. Hopefully this will reset the limp/panic mode the ECU has gone into and there isn't any lasting damage.

Might also be worth checking the other fuses while you are there.

Oh and by the way, the starter motor starts the car, not the alternator. Unless you mean it must be charging from the alternator because the car will still start?

anyone know what fuse would it be ? when the car starts up the battery light comes on. i will take the sensor off iam thinking its that as the wires are touching the body has coursed it.

Hate to say it mate but swapping manifolds and de-cating without mapping is asking for trouble unfortunately :(

Hope you manage to get it sorted though....

sorted was the fuse after all under the steering wheel engine light fuse 10amp. running all good with the manifold and decat will map it later on when i have the funds.

I have the same set up pal japspeed manifold with decat and dc sports catback , what catback you running?
I didn't use the eml spacers just put up with it on. I've never heard of decating a car without a map causing engine problems just running a little rich. Could it really cause damage, having second thoughts now ha

cant remap my old ecu so iam going to have to buy a pro ecu if i could remap the standard ecu i would had done it striaght away. saving some £££ for a pro ecu.. its running good so far to be ohnest its just good as it was before, honda v tec engine iam sure it wont go down that quick just serviced it castrol rs 5w40 oil ngk laser plugs honda oil filter got a blitz sus filter induction on it sounds great, and always use v power fuel. next i like to take it to tdi north tune up.. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why bother de-catting if you don't intend to get the car mapped.

You're not really gaining anything.

How much extra noise will a header produce?? at the moment im running unsilenced b-pipe with magnex oval and its perfect. I don't mind the odd noise increase but not keen on motorway drone. From what i've read, some people have said their header gave a minute noise increase whilst others have said its made their car ridiculously loud. obviously each car is different and the mods will of course be different but any rough guess's??

I've got a dc sports header and I was pleasantly surprised at how little noise a decat makes (gentle driving) put you're foot down and you'll know about it... Perfect! Not sure about an un silenced b pipe though. :eek:

Back