• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

problem MOT advisory??

hi all,
i have just bought myself a civic type r 54 plate. after running around in it i have noticed it has developed a slight knockng noise, from what sounds like the front passenger wheel. when i open the window there is also a squeeky noise. my guess is wheel bearing??
when looking at the mot it has an advisory 'offside front suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement'
what is this and would it cause the noise above.
im new to honda and dont know the car very well. is it an easy fix or going to cost me?

any help on the situation would be great!!

Thanks
Dan

Hi Dan,

This would cause a knocking sound. Easy fix as you can just replace the bush without having to replace the whole arm.

It wouldn't cost much to fix. I think the bush itself costs about £12 (ebay).

Thanks for that! So you not think it will be the bearing? Is it a job I can do myself? The car has 3 months warrenty still, you think I will be covered or is it not worth the hassle? Not too happy about it :( thanks

Doubt it would be the wheel bearing, it would make more of a grinding noise.

One way to check to see if it is the wheel bearing is to jack the car up and see if their is any play in the wheel if you shake it from the top and bottom.

When did the car have its MOT? I reckon you could fit the new bush yourself but if its under warranty I would try and get the garage to do it.

Hope this helps.

hi
just an idea why not upgrade to poly bushes
cost a little bit more than £12 *** :(
their more resillient than rubber, resulting in a firmer ride and sharper handling
also last so much longer than standard rubber

maybe, i use to have a golf mk4
that had the same symptoms as you are describing
it wasn't wheel bearing, cause i replaced that first, the noise still didn't go, so i replaced my wishbones both sides and the noise stopped
handling was improved
car felt almost new again lol
later i had a proper look at the bushes on the wishbones and they were totally shot
hope that little bit of info helps

thanks for all your input! :)

i have rang the dealer and he says he will get something sorted out for me. but still waiting on the outcome...

the mot advisory was for 'offside' when thinking about it the noise is from the nearside (passenger) i have a recording on my phone of the knocking. if anyone knows how to upload from an iphone might make things abit clearer.
the reason me thinking its the wheel bearing is that when i open the window i hear a sqweeky noise from the front end when driving. but from the inside it knocks. its becoming more noticeable :( not too happy about it, only had it a week.

the car had its mot when i collected it last week with no advisorys, i ask the dealer to put 12 months on for me.... it had 6 months left when i went to see it but that was the advisry on the old mot.

how would i check topmounts? would this cause this sound? and how would i go about changing them? are there any guides online. i cant seem to find a haynes manual for a civic or is it just me not looking hard enough.

again...
thanks for all your help so far!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back