• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Problem with a "CLUNK" since lowering.

ian

Red Snapper
I had my Tein springs fitted yesterday, with new camber bolts and rear arms, and had a full alignment done. Overall I'm chuffed to bits with the results. :D It looks the nuts, (only 25 and 20mm lower tho,) and handles really well. 8)

However, the front near side damper is making a loud clunk noise over some bumps and its really bugging me. :( I took the car back and they double checked everything was tight, which is was. :?

The mechanic suggested it could be the spring coils hitting each other as they compress, although it doesn't sound that metallic and is only happening on the one corner. :? :?

He also suggested that maybe the damper on that corner of the car is a little worn, (the car's only done 40k miles tho,) and that might be the problem :?:

My choices are: change back to standard springs and loose the cash I spent fitting these. Not a great option. :(

Fit Eibach (sp) springs instead which have better plastic covers over the top coils, and have it all re-set up. This will be costly tho, and still might not solve it. :cry:

Replace the potentially worn damper, (both sides I expect) and see if the noise goes. Again, could be costly, but I have no idea how much the dampers are.

Has anyone suffered similar problems, or can anyone please offer any advice on what to do?

I haven't named the garage because the service was second to none and I do trust that they have fitted everything perfectly and don't want to tarnish their good reputation. 8)

Any help much appreciated, thanks guys. :wink:

Ian

tryed doin some miles with erm on?

let them bed in maybe find a few speed bumps...

they normally creak while they bed in thou not "CLUNK" :?

Fire_2 said:
tryed doin some miles with erm on?

let them bed in maybe find a few speed bumps...

they normally creak while they bed in thou not "CLUNK" :?

Cheers fella, but I don't think its a bedding in thing. :? Its a very deep clunk noise rather than a creak as you point out, and its only on the one corner. :( I'm a bit stumped. :?

Could the spring be coming put of its seat and then clunking back in?

^^^

What he said... clunking is normally a worn damper... or maybe a bush has become un seated or worn.... but i agree that the clunk shouldnt be there.

ianwilliams said:
He also suggested that maybe the damper on that corner of the car is a little worn, (the car's only done 40k miles tho,) and that might be the problem :?:

Neily03 said:
Could the spring be coming put of its seat and then clunking back in?

We thought this may the problem, but apparently the way they are seated that have very little chance of moving. It does kinda sound like this though, its almost a double clunk, once on the way down and back up again. :?

SOates82 said:
^^^

What he said... clunking is normally a worn damper... or maybe a bush has become un seated or worn.... but i agree that the clunk shouldnt be there.

Thanks mate. I'm tending to think this might be the likely cause, but do dampers tend to wear out after (only!) 40k miles? :? I do drive on some pretty bad forest roads, so the near side damper could have taken more of a battering than most cars I guess.

It didn't make a sound before, although I guess shortening the spring could affect the way the damper operates...

It seems strange that it has gone after 40k, but on bad roads its not outside the realms of possability that it might be worn out. Pug 206 damers are normally totally shagged by 10,000 miles due to the design ;) but on a soft car like that you dont notice.

Hmm, I personally would run them for a week or so and see how you get on, it will most likely be the springs bedding in and you'll find that the other corners of the car will most likely start making clunking/creaking noises after a few miles. My Teins took about a week to settle down and were really noisey a few days after I had them fitted at TGM.

SOates82 said:
It seems strange that it has gone after 40k, but on bad roads its not outside the realms of possability that it might be worn out. Pug 206 damers are normally totally shagged by 10,000 miles due to the design ;) but on a soft car like that you dont notice.

Ta mate. It does seem a little early to be worn out imo, especially as I know the car didn't have a hard life before I got it with 28k miles, as I knew the lady owner before me.

Does anyone know if there a way of checking to see if the damper is worn before I replace it and or the springs?

I'm all confoosed. :?

Chief said:
Hmm, I personally would run them for a week or so and see how you get on, it will most likely be the springs bedding in and you'll find that the other corners of the car will most likely start making clunking/creaking noises after a few miles. My Teins took about a week to settle down and were really noisey a few days after I had them fitted at TGM.

Good advice cheers Chief. The mechanic didn't seem to think it was a bedding in thing though, but I am going to run it for a while and see if it improves. He suggested that if it is a worn damper it'll get worse though. He agreed he couldn't live with the noise and its certainly not impressed my wife either. :roll: :lol:

Jack the front end up, unbolt one end of the damper.
Holding the body of th damper still try to wobble the shaft in the damper.
If it moves its shagged! However it could have leaked (ie a seal blown) and so the only real way is to take it off and checked over... at that point you may as well replace it anyway :(

I was really worried after I had mine fitted as they made a hell of a racket, now their completely quiet unless its cold and i get some pinging from the springs when parking (only had this a few times). Try to get a few miles under your belt and see how it goes.

SOates82 said:
Jack the front end up, unbolt one end of the damper.
Holding the body of th damper still try to wobble the shaft in the damper.
If it moves its shagged! However it could have leaked (ie a seal blown) and so the only real way is to take it off and checked over... at that point you may as well replace it anyway :(

Cool, cheers mate, I'll try that when I get a mo. 8) I was told that although it was a bit grubby, it hadn't leaked and all the seals were fine. I assumed that as they hadn't leaked the damper wasn't worn out?

I guess I'll have to take it back and get them to check the damper again. :( Anyone have any idea as to the cost of a damper and do I need to fit a pair if I'm doing one?

Thanks for all you help everyone, and the quick replies, its much appreciated. 8) :wink:

I have had what sounds like the same problem since getting some spoon progressives fitted a few months ago. Thought it may be the shocks and have had both fronts changed, but it has not made any difference!

Unfortunately i'm to busy to get back to the dealers for them to investigate further at the moment.... will have to wait till after christmas now

TwoHats said:
I have had what sounds like the same problem since getting some spoon progressives fitted a few months ago. Thought it may be the shocks and have had both fronts changed, but it has not made any difference!

Sorry to hear you've got the same thing, bloomin' annoying isn't it?! :?

Can I ask you how many miles your car has done and also, did your Spoons have much in the way of plastic coverings on the top few coils? The Eibach ones have more plastic/rubbery coating than my Tiens and they are also oil filled, to cushion the blow if the coils do knock together. By all accounts, there's been no knocking trouble with these particular springs on CTRs, so I wonder if I'm better off changing to Eibachs than changing the dampers with the Tiens on?

Having said that I expect there's people here that have the same Tiens as me with no problems. :? :lol:

Oh, the joys of modding cars eh? :lol: :lol:

ianwilliams said:
TwoHats said:

Sorry to hear you've got the same thing, bloomin' annoying isn't it?! :?

Can I ask you how many miles your car has done and also, did your Spoons have much in the way of plastic coverings on the top few coils? The Eibach ones have more plastic/rubbery coating than my Tiens and they are also oil filled, to cushion the blow if the coils do knock together. By all accounts, there's been no knocking trouble with these particular springs on CTRs, so I wonder if I'm better off changing to Eibachs than changing the dampers with the Tiens on?

Having said that I expect there's people here that have the same Tiens as me with no problems. :? :lol:

Oh, the joys of modding cars eh? :lol: :lol:

Its annoying not knowing what the problem is. :wink: I haven't had any problems with my Teins since fitting, The brown rubber protector on the Teins should be enough to elimiate the noise, I'm not convinced the Eibachs would solve the problem.

Back