• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Problem with power window auto-up feature

Kai

Sorry about the length of post, if it's tl;dr:

Can you try to use your window auto-up (driver's side) whilst accelerating and report back if your window will completely close or if it stops midway as you're accelerating?

----- Main Post -----

Hi,

I'm still having some weird gremlin with my electric window (driver's side). It's an EP3 facelift premiere. Basically, when I put it to go auto-up (pull the switch up to highest point), sometimes the window will not fully close - it'll stop someway short and then come back down a little bit and then stop. I can fully close the window by pulling the switch half-up and holding it until the window fully closes.

It's been suggested that it might be the channel needs to be lubricated. I've had a look at this and it seems fine. I've also tried to reset the window by pressing all the way down and hold for 3 secs, and then fully up, again hold for 3 secs. I had to to this the other day when I disconnected the battery.

Whilst in neutral, the window auto-up feature works correctly.

The problem has been puzzling me for a long time now and recently someone suggested to me that it mght be normal behaviour and the trouble is I can't remember if I've always had the problem or not since it's been so long!

I noticed last night that I can get the auto-up going window to stop by pressing the accelerator whilst moving (i.e. in gear). So.. would anyone be kind enough to try this out for me and report back in the thread if accelerating whilst using the auto-up feature on the driver's power window causes the auto-up to cancel and stop?

Here's some of my tests so far:

Basically, window all the way down and then pull the switch to the second state to activate the auto-up and while the window is going up:

1) Key in position II on ignition, engine off.
2) Engine started, in neutral, stationary (not moving), accelerator not pressed (basically in idle)
3) Engine started, in neutral, stationary (not moving), engine reved to 3,000rpm
4) Engine on, in gear, moving but accelerator pedal not pressed
5) Engine on, in gear, moving and accelerator pressed (in short bursts if possible and safe to do so)

FWIW, my results are:

1) Auto-up works and completes
2) Auto-up works and completes
3) Auto-up works and completes
4) Auto-up works and completes
5) The window will go back down a little and then stop

I'm thinking at this point it's either:

1) Dodgy earthing (I don't have an earthing kit - do you?)
2) Weak battery (My battery hasn't been replaced from new, but it still powers up first time everytime and I've not noticed anything amiss)
3) The acceleration is causing drain which stops the power window? So the alternator isn't providing enough? Or again, weak battery?

I'd love to get to the bottom of this as it's been doing my head in for ages!

Very specific mate :).

Mine does this sometimes but I just do it up manually. Usually when this does happen the auto up feature breaks and I have to do the reset thing. I think because the windows move quite far in and out when open they get pitched at the highest point and activates the anti finger trapping safety feature and imeadiatly lowers the window. I find this happens at random intervals but mostly when in motion :).

I have actually had this happen to me once, me being pedantic, reset ecu/battery for 5 min and reset auto drivers window... No dramas since!

Just in case u didnt know how to reteach the auto window.. Hold window down (even when window is fully down, keep button down for further 2-3 seconds, same for holding button up)... This should solve it.

Thanks for the replies, but I'm 100% certain it's nothing to do with the window seal, channel or runners. It seems to be some kind of electrical problem.

The reason being that I can get the window to auto-close as long as I don't press the accelerator...! It sounds strange, but as soon as I press the accelerator pedal as the window is auto-closing, it'll stop before it reaches the top. In any other case, the window will auto-close successfully.

In the next couple of weeks, I'm going to try my hardest to get to the bottom of this as it's been going on far too long now but of course I'd like everyone's test results to see if it is 'normal' for this to happen since I obviously can't fix something that isn't actually broken.

I think its a feature, mine does the same and has done since brand new (05).

When closing the window just pull the button half way up (instead of fully) and it will close properly.

Mines an 05 and does this also. I reset the window by holding the button down for 3 seconds, this cures it but for a short while only. I just use the manual part now to avoid it going up, just to come down again. I believe that on going upward, if the window feels tension/tight it will go down, as a safety feature as if someone gets their fingers caught in it by accident etc. I've never noticed it to be particular to what gear I'm in, or responding to throttle but I'll keep an eye on that as you mentioned it. Try resetting ecu, I'll even do this to see if it cures it once and for all!

Hi I had this on my DC5, not the accelerating thing just when sometimes the window would stop and go back down when doing the auto up.

I solved it by whipping the door card off (few screws and give it a tug, unplug wires), peel back the membrane (without getting the black goo all over yourself).
Then lower the window down (you'll have to fiddle about and plug the switch back in) untill you can see and get to the two 10mm bolts that hold the window to the mechanism.
Loosen these two bolts off but dont take them right out.
Now put the window right up, bring it down a bit then right back up. Now slowly lower it back down so you can see the two bolts and pinch them back up. Try the window fully up and down a few times with the auto and you should be all good.
If it doesnt work first time just loosen the two bolts off and try again.

Back