• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Problems with Data link plug amongst others

Hi,

been a long time since i posted on here but a friend is having some problems with his EP3 and we are stuck.

Started of with broken wires on the lambda sensor, he replaced the sensor.

Problems he's having now are

-Speedo will not work
-Engine managment light is on
-Battery light is on
-Battery will not charge(11.8v running)
-Data plug (ecu reader) will not work

Tried to connect a code reader to the ecu but it will not establish a link between each other, comes up connect data link. Code reader is tested and working fine on other cars,

Anyone have any idea at all?

Thanks

Long shot:

Alternator broken.

*Explains why the battery light is on and why it's not charging.
*Also might explain why the EML is on
*Also might explain why the ecu reader doesn't connect, since it isn't getting enough power from the OBD2 port. (supposed to be around 12.7V I think)

*Leaves me in the dark about the speedo though... :s

Can u sipply power to the reader via external power (cigarette thing...,) if yes, try plug it in other car's cigarette plug and the obd2 wire into the broken car

good luck, hope this might help a bit

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris, dont know if it would be the spped sensor mate would that give all the other issues as well?

Dotty, no mate dont know who watto is :confused:

Earthslug, sounds like a possibility and is the only conclusion we could figure out. Tried using an external power supply for the data reader but still would not connect. Also we noticed the central locking will not work now the battery has dropped below 12v, so might also be the same with the data plug?

Will report back with any progress,

thanks guys, appreciated

Watton, yeah i know him. However i left the army 3 years ago and havent seen him since.

Didnt know he gave you the runaround, sorry to hear that.

Yeah, he did - more or less bought my car but never heard from him on the day he was meant to come and view it, and ignored me ever since.

I stripped it to the spec he wanted it too.

Hence the ban hammer.

Yeah, still in dude :D

Waiting on the redundancy announcements, if I am eligible, then I am gone!

Haha, dont blame you. I do miss some parts though, but you forget the bad bits.

Glad i came out, but theres no rush in civvy street.

Might want to try this:

connect another car's battery to the faulty car battery (use those starter cables, don't know proper english for them :) ) Keep the donator car running, try connecting the datatool again.

I remember now a friends car having a simular issue...
All his electronics stopped working one by one, the heavy power consumers first: Power steering, lights, windows, dashboard (might explain the speedo),..
It wasn't a honda, but the basics remain,

Basically, car electrics work like this:
Alternator charges battery => battery supplies power to the car, yes, even to the spark plugs.
Actually the battery acts as a big power reserve, taking stress off the alternator.

ALSO: A fautly battery can lead to a broken alternator, because the car's electrics demanding too much current from the alternator directly, so it might have been a bad battery in the first place causing this.
Never trust the battery indicator, (the green/black indicator on your battery) as that is just a piece of crap, probably only exists to make their stuff more expensive...

Hope you solve this issue soon...

A broken alternator... you'll be looking near 150£ for new alternator I'd say (not sure)... can't comment on placing cost

Back