• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Pull off creak!! Help!

Hi
i have a 2002 civic type r ep3, i have the dreaded pull off creak. I went into honda the other day and they said it was a bad engine mount, i bought an engine mount and fitted it today....
Still creaking and now i have no idea what next ?? :(
i have tried tightening the strut mount but it doesn't want to tighten any more. I will have another go tomorrow but have no idea what it could be :S

Symptom:
When pulling off in a straight (seems to be mostly when in a straight line and very rarely when turning), it sounds like a creaking door or bed, happens sometimes when breaking. its coming from drivers side top corner (which is why i thought it would be the engine mount)

ive had a look on the forum for answers but am finding no luck

How can i access the front one?? and also is there anyway to observe it or test it to determine if that is the culprit?
the reason i changed the drivers side one was because the honda mechanic test drove my car and said it was that, naturally i followed his expert mechanical advice and my pockets are now 140 quid lighter :)

You can get a crow bar in from the underside, it site below the intake manifold etc. Put a crow bar up and see the range of movement from it.

if it were to be that mount, i have seen on various sites that people use inserts for them as they seam to be a weak point on ctr's. Would that be a cheaper option? or would it still need replacing?

It'll still need replacing if broke. An insert would reduce movement and the probability of it breaking again.

Well that woudl explain the creak ive had for years and never bothered looking into :lol:

am i right in thinking there is one mount at the front and one at the back of the engine?? would the one under the intake not be considered as the rear engine mount??? and also do i need to take off the underside splash shield to see it or is plainly visible?

would i need to take off the splash shield under the car to get to the mount?? or is it easily visible?? cheers for your help guys!

sorry for the 2 comments, i thought it didn't enter my first comment but it was on the other page ! hah im an idiot :D

Hey just wanted to thank everyones help :D had a look today, and levered the mount up and down and is quite clearly dissintegrated. cheers for your help guys, just wish i did this before replacing a perfectly good drivers side mount :)

well its been a bit of a trek really, the front had perished completely, however the creek is still there and i think the rear may have gone as well, replacing the front did however make it a lot less jerky and has quietened the creak, however it is still there slightly which makes me think it is definitely the rear. Credit goes to honda who replaced the front engine mount for 33 pounds ( excluding part as i had that already).

Fair do's. They do go often, I think front and rear are most common.

Back