• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Pull off Creaking Noise

Hi

I am getting a strange creaking noise when pulling away and sometimes when changing into second.

It is quite a high pitched noise and can be felt through the steering wheel a little as well. Its worse if I pull away quickly
icon_e_confused.gif

Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks

Creaking or squealing? I can't imagine a high pitched creak.

When stationary and you turn your steering wheel, does it creak?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its hard to describe the noise! I would say a creak, like when you dont have the handbrake on high enough.

How would I go about checking the drop links?

Noises are hard to describle by writing, when you say a creak do you mean like if sit on a chair and it creaks once or is the creak the type of sound but it lasts longer than a second long?

Clutch squeal? Is it from the clutch?

Noises are hard to describle by writing, when you say a creak do you mean like if sit on a chair and it creaks once or is the creak the type of sound but it lasts longer than a second long?

Clutch squeal? Is it from the clutch?

Thats quite a good way of describing the sound! its a very short sound. Would it be clutch squeal if I can feel the knock through the steering wheel?

It may be felt through the steering wheel if it were the clutch but if it's just a short chirp creak then it's more likely to be something to do with your suspension. Clutch squeal sounds like the half left on hand brake sound like you described but lasts about 1.5 seconds when pulling off.

Could be drop links but they usually knock when in need of replacing same as ball joints. But if the drop link has snapped all together it will make no noise.

May be bushes or Top mounts maybe?

Poke your head underneath and you can see the drop links attached to the anti roll bar.

Engine mount starting to go? Just with it only happening when you'd expect the engine to move, maybe at high rpm the engine drowns out the noise

That was what I first thought but unfortunately Ive only ever fiddled about with my old megane so clueless when it comes to the EP3! :( Is this something I can check or best to just go to a garage?

Thanks

That was what I first thought but unfortunately Ive only ever fiddled about with my old megane so clueless when it comes to the EP3! :( Is this something I can check or best to just go to a garage?

Thanks

If your not mechanically minded I would take it too 2-3 garages and see what you come up with

Creaking

Hey people, hope your all good, I thought I'd post on here As I think I have the same creaking noise that your describing here, its most prominent when pulling away like you said. Mine seems to get worse in hot weather?! You can Deffinately feel it through the steering wheel and turning the wheel side to side makes it a
Bit louder. It sounds a bit like rubber creaking?! I've searched for this problem on the net before I joined the owners forum and I seem to remember someone saying it could be the steering rack? I'll check out the engine mounts though and other bushes. Drop links have been replaced on mine.

Hey. I have ruled out the steering rack for mine as the noise only happens when pulling away and sometime when I first start the engine. I gave the steering rack a good wiggle and there was no noise at all.

I'm hoping its the mounts or drop links but ill let you know soon as I will try and get it in this week.

Yeah keep me updated mate, be interesting to see wat they find. Mine doesn't cause any problems it's just annoying, soon as I have a bit of spare cash I'll have to get it sorted out, need rear tyres 1st!! Don't fancy getting points for them!

im having the same noise by the sounds of it, took it to tgm in fleet and they have said the front engine mount is knackered and needs replacing, whether or not this is the noise that happens even when i slam the doors i wont know until its replaced. fingers crossed.

mines doing this and im convinced its the engine mounts from experience with other marques gonna take a look tomorrow and find which mount it is!

Back