• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Question about Seats and Rails & Harnesses

Peter Pan

I aint posting no more!
Ok after seeing various car fitted with Race Seats buckets etc etc I got a few questions ?

Ok first thing is, with Rails I know there are various ones, which ones allow you forward and backwards slide movement none or all ?

next obviously race seats (like the ones I want) have no tilt mechanism hence the rear seats become somewhat obsolete ?

Harnesses what harness are best for road use, I actually like the Simson harnesses as they actually used on lots of the pro drag cars, are these or any harnesses street legal, and whats best 4 point 6 point etc etc.

Think thats about all really, I guess my rear seats will be totally taken out anyway for harness fitting etc etc and so wont use the rear seats anyway but was just a general question.

Sure Trung will have all the answers

Spoon and Bride rails will allow the seat to go back and forth mate, you'll need side mounts to fit the seat to the rail though.

Harness wise, it's up to you, a nice normal MOT friendly Willans one will do the job, esp as they really only come into play in corners! I think the aircraft style buckles won't pass an MOT if you have a normal inertia reel type belt still in the car then you won't have a problem (AFAIK) so a Simpson one would be ok. 6 point is OTT in a road car mate so go for the 4 point approach.

There is no point going overkill mate on harness and seat, for your type of use (mainly drag i'm assuming) then just get what works!

What about the Takira ...(spelling) ...green harnesses, think spencer has them?....

I'm after a set but cant find them anywhere! :cry:

Buddy Club and Cobra also do seat rails for EP3, both includes side mounts for full bucket seats.
Unit 8 sells are dealers for both manufacturers so it's easier to buy it from Steve.
If you decide to fit buckets on both driver and passenger side then yes, rear seats will become useless or at least PITA to get to. It is however a great weight reduction over standard and reclining aftermarket seats.

I got a Buddy Club bucket seat and if I slide it all the way forward its not that hard to get to the back seat.
Weight reduction is not that great as you would believe though, the seat rails and side mounts are pretty heavy :?
The feeling when driving hard is a massive improvement though, its almost like a new car :)
The standard seatbelt works pretty well and I don't think I would recommend a harness unless you are getting a full roll cage.

As you know I bolted mine straight to the floor, each seat and side bit is about 6.5kg, compared to the 20kg plus of a standard seat, you could put a slider on one side and bolt the other.

This is from my installation
Pre-facelift driver seat: 17.2kg.
Buddy Club bucket seat+rails+side mounts: 10.5kg.
Equals: -6.7kg

The rails and side mounts do add up the weight. There is an option to buy aluminium side mounts.
As some race cars I've seen have seats bolted directly to the floor like Friendy's or have own custom non-adjustle rails for super weight saving.

What ever you get just be aware how you mount them...ie if they are directly to the floor make sure you have a strengthening plate welded to the under neath of the car where the new holes go thro the floor.

You dont want the seat just pulling straight out the floor in the event of an accident. :cry:

Also fit the harness correctly.I have seen shoulder straps bolted straight down behind the seat which is fook all useless, they must go back straight to a roll cage or at most to the origional bolt holes underneath the rear bum cushion :wink:

Thanks guy for the info makes decent reading.

will use the rear holes where the original belts fitted I think not sure about the sides, its all in the future though as soon as I get this new job :p

Back