• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Quiet Performance Exhaust options?

Right, thought i'd start a new thread about this since it is something I have to deal with fairly soon.

I currently have the following exhaust configuration: Stock Manifold > Stock Cat > Cobra B pipe (looks to have a silencer but feels like it's seen better days) > Toda Ti Dolphin Tip

Now from what the condition of the items, it looks like the Manifold and Cat have no chance of being removed in 1 piece as the flanges and bolts have corroded pretty hardcore. The B pipe seems fine and it looks like it's reasonably recent (1-2 years tops?) however I can hear noises inside it when I give it a smack, which I believe amplify once they come out the back. The Toda thankfully seems to be in great working order, however due to this B pipe issue the car is louder than I thought it would be and even drones at 70mph (which it shouldn't with a Toda...). Not sure why the Toda b pipe has been removed, or where I can get another for reasonable money but yeah..

So anyway, the plan is to have a high flow but quiet exhaust system without spending thousands to achieve it. From what I could gather, the best way to go about this would be a full Toda system (4-2-1 toda mani, toda b pipe silenced and toda ti backbox) but since I only have the backbox, the mani and b pipe add up to almost £2k lmao.

So the next best thing is Reps? Toda rep would be Tegiwa as far as I know, so Tegiwa 4-2-1 is £480 give or take and for b pipe I could use M2 silenced? That one is only £185 and should pair up fine with the Toda backbox I have. Links below:

http://www.tegiwaimports.com/tegiwa-exhaust-manifold-header-civic-ep3-integra-dc5-01-06.html

http://www.m2motorsport.co.uk/cgi-b...CTION--with-muffler--see-notes-616.html#SID=6

With the above, how loud will the car be? I've had decatted cars before and wasn't a huge fan, but mainly because they were straight through with no silencers. I wan't a fast daily with reasonable noise levels and that seems to be hard to achieve without spending thousands.

Any input will be highly appreciated!

PS: Sorry for the wall of text, work is rather quiet today lol

The Toda system is quiet too.

Also please see below:

All readings were taken at 5500rpm with calibrated meter 45' to exhaust outlet and 0.5meters away.

Manifold, B-pipe, Backbox, level (db)

Std, Std, Std, 93
Std, Std, Spoon, 102
Spoon 421, Spoon, Std 94
Toda, Spoon, Spoon, 106
Std, Spoon, Spoon, 104
Jr , TG, TG, 109
Std, TG, TG-Ti. 96
Std, Cobra us, Cobra, 109
DC, Spoon, Spoon, 108
JR, Eurosport, Eurosport, 105, Spercharger & Cams
Std, Mugen, Mugen, 89
Toda, Toda, Toda, 94

Have a read of this for more info:

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?21562-Exhaust-guide

Some helpful info

Anything with JASMA certification is likely also quite quiet, so might be useful in your search.

Thank you mate, Toda Toda Toda being 1db louder than stock is amazing! And that mugen too!

Also I thought Spoon is the loudest thing you can get, maybe Buddy Clubs being close 2nd, but wtf is with the cobra being so loud haha. That explains the drone I think, I need a silenced B pipe asap :(

Interesting that my current Mugen set up is quieter than OEM. May change to the Tegiwa manifold this year and beef it up a little.

Right, thought i'd start a new thread about this since it is something I have to deal with fairly soon.

I currently have the following exhaust configuration: Stock Manifold > Stock Cat > Cobra B pipe (looks to have a silencer but feels like it's seen better days) > Toda Ti Dolphin Tip

Now from what the condition of the items, it looks like the Manifold and Cat have no chance of being removed in 1 piece as the flanges and bolts have corroded pretty hardcore. The B pipe seems fine and it looks like it's reasonably recent (1-2 years tops?) however I can hear noises inside it when I give it a smack, which I believe amplify once they come out the back. The Toda thankfully seems to be in great working order, however due to this B pipe issue the car is louder than I thought it would be and even drones at 70mph (which it shouldn't with a Toda...). Not sure why the Toda b pipe has been removed, or where I can get another for reasonable money but yeah..

So anyway, the plan is to have a high flow but quiet exhaust system without spending thousands to achieve it. From what I could gather, the best way to go about this would be a full Toda system (4-2-1 toda mani, toda b pipe silenced and toda ti backbox) but since I only have the backbox, the mani and b pipe add up to almost £2k lmao.

So the next best thing is Reps? Toda rep would be Tegiwa as far as I know, so Tegiwa 4-2-1 is £480 give or take and for b pipe I could use M2 silenced? That one is only £185 and should pair up fine with the Toda backbox I have. Links below:

http://www.tegiwaimports.com/tegiwa-exhaust-manifold-header-civic-ep3-integra-dc5-01-06.html

http://www.m2motorsport.co.uk/cgi-b...CTION--with-muffler--see-notes-616.html#SID=6

With the above, how loud will the car be? I've had decatted cars before and wasn't a huge fan, but mainly because they were straight through with no silencers. I wan't a fast daily with reasonable noise levels and that seems to be hard to achieve without spending thousands.

Any input will be highly appreciated!

PS: Sorry for the wall of text, work is rather quiet today lol

I’d recommend the piper cat back .
Can’t even hear it on idle once warm , subtle burble at low rpms and goes crazy in vtec.
Perfect for me. Also I have the oem style rear tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d recommend the piper cat back .
Can’t even hear it on idle once warm , subtle burble at low rpms and goes crazy in vtec.
Perfect for me. Also I have the oem style rear tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the recommendation, I will have a look.

My problem is mainly with the manifold, cat and b pipe mate, not so much the backbox. The Toda is one of the quietest exhausts for the performance gain you get once remapped, however it does not have it's original b pipe, and the cobra that is on there is rubbish and probably hollow inside. The cat should be ok however it is so rusted away that I feel if I remove it off the B pipe I will not be able to put it back on as the hinges are in dire condition.

As for the manifold, I am sure it is going to be in the same state as the cat, seeing as the car is now 14 years old and what not.

I might give the M2 Silenced mid pipe section a go and see if I can put it on without destroying the cat side connection, if I can't and it does go, then Tegiwa 4-2-1 manifold it is...

The cat should be ok however it is so rusted away that I feel if I remove it off the B pipe I will not be able to put it back on as the hinges are in dire condition.

Combination b-pipe and back-box made for the JDM model are slightly longer than EDM, so you could get the cat flange cut away and a new one welded in place without upsetting the positioning of things. You might be able to do so with an EDM one too really, so long as the amount cut wasn't too extreme.

We've had a few DC5 customers run the Fujitsubo RM-01A and DC manifold combination on track without incident. As Mike has mentioned, anything Japanese and JASMA rated has to adhere to certain noise restrictions, so will be much more comfortable to live with.

For what it's worth Fujitsubo's own noise level measurements on the EP3 RM-01A are as follows;

Volume idling -
Standard 63dB
RM-01A 70dB

3000rpm~5000rpm
Standard 93dB
RM-01A 102dB

6000rpm
Standard 92dB
RM-01A 93dB

Toda, Mugen or Fujitsubo RM01A. You’re not going to do much better than any of those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We've had a few DC5 customers run the Fujitsubo RM-01A and DC manifold combination on track without incident. As Mike has mentioned, anything Japanese and JASMA rated has to adhere to certain noise restrictions, so will be much more comfortable to live with.

For what it's worth Fujitsubo's own noise level measurements on the EP3 RM-01A are as follows;

Volume idling -
Standard 63dB
RM-01A 70dB

3000rpm~5000rpm
Standard 93dB
RM-01A 102dB

6000rpm
Standard 92dB
RM-01A 93dB

Toda, Mugen or Fujitsubo RM01A. You’re not going to do much better than any of those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you guys, yeah I am inclined to sell my Dolphin tip Toda and buy the catback section again in straight cut trim this time and then get either DC or Tegiwa mani (or save for Toda...).

Is there any reason why DC mani is a lot more common compared to the Tegiwa?

I do like the rating on the Fujitsubo and it works out cheaper for me to sell the Toda backbox (400-500 on ebay is the going rate) and buy a DC mani with Fuji for circa £1100 all in.

Tegiwa mani is a Toda copy. DC mani is very good, I ran it with the RM01A on my DC without issue and made decent power. Wasn’t a headache to live with on the motorway either and sounded lovely when opened up.

Tegiwa mani is a Toda copy. DC mani is very good, I ran it with the RM01A on my DC without issue and made decent power. Wasn’t a headache to live with on the motorway either and sounded lovely when opened up.

Do you reckon the Tegiwa mani will be quieter than the DC? I am so surprised how quiet the full Toda system is... perhaps Tegiwa and RM01A Catback will be the quietest option that till provides good gains.

Also was there any drone on motorway journeys?

Thanks man

Do you reckon the Tegiwa mani will be quieter than the DC? I am so surprised how quiet the full Toda system is... perhaps Tegiwa and RM01A Catback will be the quietest option that till provides good gains.

Thanks man

Can’t comment on the Tegiwa but I’d imagine there’d be little difference. I had no drone on the Motorway.

Thanks man

There won't really be any discernable difference between the two in terms of noise. Both will be louder than stock, though.

yes many people on here had that, heard mixed reviews on the sports cat though, like it needs to be very hot to get through MOT and after a few years may not be passable at all.

Seems a shame to spend all that money and it be hit and miss MOT time, might as well go 4-2-1

yes many people on here had that, heard mixed reviews on the sports cat though, like it needs to be very hot to get through MOT and after a few years may not be passable at all.

Seems a shame to spend all that money and it be hit and miss MOT time, might as well go 4-2-1

Ahh right I see, fair enough.

Back