• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Radiator/AC Condensor Fans - How do they work?

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this thread but I wondered if any of you could explain how these fans work. I'm seeing two in the engine bay, one has 5 blades and the other has four but I've only ever seen one of mine work.

I know one comes on with the AC and this one works but the other just sits there. Can anyone explain how they work or could one of mine be faulty?

Cheers

CL7-R

Sorry about that...here are the pics:

Both fans behind the radiator:
DSC01480.jpg

Driver's side:
DSC01481.jpg

Passenger side:
DSC01482.jpg

The fan on the driver's side is the only one I've seen working. I put a multimeter on the passenger side connector but didn't get any reading at all but I just wanted to know if anyone knew of both fans should be working under normal conditions or only when the engine reaches or exceeds its operating temperature.

Thanks in advance guys...

CL7-R

Last edited by a moderator:
The smaller one is for the A/C and will kick in when the air-con runs and the car is stationary.

The larger one is for the main engine radiator. If the radiator is kept cooler enough from normal driving (air passing over the radiator) it will not come on. Generally the radiator fan only comes on when you are stationary.
If it never comes on it could mean you have a broken thermostat.

The smaller one is for the A/C and will kick in when the air-con runs and the car is stationary.

The larger one is for the main engine radiator. If the radiator is kept cooler enough from normal driving (air passing over the radiator) it will not come on. Generally the radiator fan only comes on when you are stationary.
If it never comes on it could mean you have a broken thermostat.

Thanks PG. I guess I won't ever really know unless I sit and watch it for a while. I tend to leave home extremely early to avoid traffic and leave work late for the same reason. I tried sitting and watching it for about 20 mins but it didn't come on. I got kinda bored and wasn't in the mood for wasting more gas so I shut off the engine.

Cheers,

CL7-R

Back