• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Rattle near 2k rpm

I have this annoying rattle noise at 1700rpm to 2000rpm, Doesn't do it at standstill but does it in any gear at that rev range. I have already removed my driveshaft and manifold heatshields and It looks like a heatshield is missing if there is meant to be one under the cat as well as above. Its really annoying and makes the car sound like ****. Help! lol

Only reason I haven't removed that yet is the noise seems to be metallic, I will give it a shot in the morning thanks. On reading through some other posts I am dreading it being chain related, anyway to rule that out?

I was thinking that but the remaining cat heatshield protects the car, is it safe to remove? Thanks.

Ivtec cover removed, still same. Cant seem to remove upper cat heatshield, nuts turn but dont release.

Ok, so I have removed driveshaft heatshield, manifold heatshield, ivtec cover and have no heatshield under/beneath my cat, I am struggling to remove the remaining cat heatshield which is above the cat on the car. One bolt snapped in half, two others spin endlessly without loosening and I cant budge the one directly above the cat. I am now confused as to what to do next, reckon I could cut the heatshield off, but if I still had the rattle I would want to kill my car:mad: So before I go Clitheroe Honda and have them
bend me over a barrel has anybody any last idea's? Thanks in advance guys.

(BTW there are no other symptoms, oil use is minimal, no EML, idles quiet, on acceleration from 1.7k it rattles,after 2k the rattle quietens and it pulls smoothly to redline in all gears, vtec kicks in strong at 5.8k, so if I drive fairly spirited I only hear it once!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you checked your engine mounts. You can get rattles/vibrations if ones on the way out.

Good idea hippy, thanks I will look them over in the daylight, is there anything specific I should look for?

Mines the same. Almost 100% certain that it is the cat heatshield. I believe it is safe to remove it so you could take it to a local garage and have them get it off. Or do it yourself if your that way minded.

Ok, so I removed the remaining heatshield over my catalytic converter and my damn noise is still there:mad:
The heatshield was a PITA and I had to cut it off as bolts were not coming off, so now I still have my rattle and a worry that the cat might set my car alight! lol Is it safe to run without the catshields? thanks for all your help guys......

I think some one else needs to hear this rattle. Another forum member if anyone is local to you.

ok so now i have no heatshield on or above my cat(body heatshield) and getting a smell like burning rubber! Can someone plz allay my fears! Am I ok to run with no heatshield over the cat? the shield thats on the underbody of the car? also are there any members close to Burnley lancs who could give me a second opinion. thanks, my dream car is slowly becoming a nightmare, I should have just put up with the rattle:confused:

There's a few of us in the NW. I am south of Preston. Amend your thread title asking for help sure someone near you would volunteer.

I know it's a bit of a drive but I'm down at TDi-North in the morning.

I could have a listen/sniff plus you'll be at the right place to sort it out if anything is awry! :lol:

Back