• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Rattling noise on cold startup?

After leaving car overnight, when the car is first started up it makes a loudish rattling noise that lasts about 1-2 seconds.
Never makes any noise any other time at a ll and drives absolutely fine.
Any ideas?

Cheers

It could be the common starter motor buzz. Other than that check your i-vtec cover on the intake mani or the cat heat shield. Oh one more the exhaust mani heat shield.
After all of those its anyones guess

Sorry to jump on the thread but what is this common starter motor buzz? I get a buzz every now and again just as it fires for a second or too and I seems starter related but mine does it warm or cold but not all the time. Does the starter motor just need tightening? Any specific torque settings for it?

Its not a problem. It happens because a part inside the stater motor needs a bit of grease. Iv read its a real headache to take apart too. My ep3 makes does this in the colder months.

to henohonda 212. it could be that the oil has drained over night to sump and that rattle is the chain.

i have it after oil change on the nissans that are chain driven, lasts couple seconds as oil circulates.

I had this same problem. I was also told it was the starter motor. So I got it changed and it made no difference. In the end it turned out to be the timming chain tensioner. Lucky I changed it before it was to late.

Back