• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

really slight hesitation when accelerating but idle is fine and v tec works

​Hi everyone

is there anyone that can point me in the right direction, i have a ep3 54 plate and when accelerating it slightly hesitates this was happening about a week after buying it. i have serviced it anyway using pretronas oil. honda filter and new fuel filter.

checked the spark plugs which are denso and they have a whitish with a slight orangey powder on them. would this be causing the issue??

btw the car has a

japspeed 4-2-1 decat with o2 sensors

scorpion straight b pipe no silencer

oem back box

k and n typhoon

car runs as t should apart from above.

anyones thoughts on this?

sorry just to clarify I'm quit new to this even though i have previously owned 2 other type r but not had this problem

thanks

forgot to mention that i will be booking this in soon for a fresh catback exhaust system to mate with the 421 decat. possibly a injen cai. and a hondata k pro or k100 at either CPL or TDI which ever is closest to me. don't really want to be having this done until i get the problem sorted

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
hi Kirk. I have the same problem. ive changed everything with no joy.
I had my diagnostic machine plugged in last week and forgot to unplug it when I got out the car. anyway I drove it the next day and noticed the stutter was only very slight which makes me think there is a bad earth on the car somewhere. it sort of makes sense because when I turn any electrical item on in the car I get a surge, a slight dip in tickover. eg, window switches, brake lights etc.
I have had a look in the engine bay and theres a copper earth wire under the battery that doesn't look to good as the strands of wire are breaking away from it.
im hoping this is the source of the problem.
I will let you know how I get on and keep me informed on yours.

Hi

thanks for the reply I'm not sure it's a earth issue but I will certainly check it out as well. And keep you updated. So annoying though I don't want to be shelling out wads of money for a no fix. Anyone else experian e this issue?

If I can't find the problem hoping that once I have my new cat back mated with the 421 and decat new injen and remap at either cpl or tdi the guys there might be able to sort that also. Or the remap might sort it. Who knows !

I have same problem, slight hesitation misfire after initially changing gear then after that runs fine. Also when rolling in traffic in 2nd gear it bogs down so have to give it a lot of revs to stop it stalling. Mine the other day was also struggling to start when hot and cutting out when coming to a stop

any leaks in exhaust bud? i had a leak in mid section and it caused very slight hesitation. Now fixed,hesitation has gone.

h deano, i don't get the bog down in 2nd gear it ok with that its like if your driving and you pull away in 1st then change to 2nd it kind of hesitates slightly for a split second though. as for andi thats a good point actually the exhaust is quite old and has dents in it not done by me but previous owner i am having it in the garage on weds for a new cat back ss exhaust system to mate with the japspeed and decat hopefully this should sort it. I'm sure its nothing major. will keep you updated.

I've changed my exhaust and every gasket so it's not that.
i found that if I pull the ecu fuse for 5 mins to reset then it doesn't stutter for a few days but then it comes back.
i fitted the earthing kit and to be honest, it's better.
No matter what gear you are in it happens slightly as soon as you feather the throttle.

Fitted earthing kit and it's still there. As soon as I touch the throttle the slightest bit, stutter, stutter, stutter. Sounds horrible. Very jerky on/off throttle too.

Are you sure it's not a flat spot, my 2008 type s use to do the same until I fitted an induction kit, problem solved, and made one hell of a difference

mine seems to have got a bit worse its every now and then. yesterday it done it when accelerating it went up to 3.5k and made a burbled sound and wouldn't rev over it. then it was fine. i have rencetly fitted a toda hi power catback but that is mated with a japspeed decat 421 surely that wouldn't be the issue? need it mapped as soon as i get some money together

mine seems to have got a bit worse its every now and then. yesterday it done it when accelerating it went up to 3.5k and made a burbled sound and wouldn't rev over it. then it was fine. i have rencetly fitted a toda hi power catback but that is mated with a japspeed decat 421 surely that wouldn't be the issue? need it mapped as soon as i get some money together

Hi, you shouldn't run an EP3 with a decat if the car isn't mapped to suit. The engine will run lean and cause catastrophic damage.

Back