• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Really thick question!

I have just noticed that the RHS brake light seems to always be on. Is this right? Is it actually a brake light or is it a kind of running light. If I press the brakes only the LHS and middle lights come on. The RHS is already on. Also when I turn on the rear fog switch nothing happens. Am I being stupid or is something wrong? Cheers

Sounds like a bad earth or something, that's not right.

Do champ white type R's have rear fog lights then? When I turn the switch nothing comes on, on the rear. Proper stupid question I know, but I've never really paid attention to fogs on any of my cars as I don't use them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes integrated in the rear light clusters IIRC. It won't come on unless the lights are at least on sidelights.

Ah ok cheers. Just been out and tried a few things and noticed that the drivers side brake light comes on with the main lights. When all lights are turned off and I press the brake then only the middle and passenger brake lights come on. It seems that the the brake light is getting a feed from the main light. I'm trying to find a circuit diagram online but don't think one exists. Might be a main dealer job. Better get me wallet out. Lol

Ah ok cheers. Just been out and tried a few things and noticed that the drivers side brake light comes on with the main lights. When all lights are turned off and I press the brake then only the middle and passenger brake lights come on. It seems that the the brake light is getting a feed from the main light. I'm trying to find a circuit diagram online but don't think one exists. Might be a main dealer job. Better get me wallet out. Lol

Wow, wow, wow steady on fella. Back to basics. I had something similar happen to an old van I was driving at the time and thought where the hell am I going to start here. Turned out to be a poor connection (as mentioned previously) in the rear light cluster. A bulb had been replaced and had a poor fit. Fitted a decent bulb and wala, problem solved.

Like I say, I'd suggest back to basics and check the bulbs themselves, the connections etc then the wiring and connections that lead to them, you get the idea.

Have you just got the car?

Yeah your right. Probably something simple. I'll take a proper look at the weekend. I've had the car three months but it's not something I would notice as it's the rear of the car. Also my wife drives it mostly. It could be a poorly flitted bulb as that could potentially leak voltage across to the brake light hence why it lights up with the main rear lights. I'm an engineer by trade so I'll be a bit disappointed in myself if I can't sort it. Lol

I wasn't meaning you should have sorted this by now lol. I was thinking along the lines of: if the cars new to you and say for example someone else has maybe altered something in the past it could be due to something simple like that. Takes me a while to get used to cars. Exactly, how often do you hold the foot brake and look at the back end of your car (in the middle of summer)?

Sometimes its the simple solution that solves a major headache. Be interested to find out either ways. Good luck

Ah yeah I no you didn't mean that mate. I meant that I should be able to sort it because I work on low voltage circuits as a job. Thanks for the input anyway mate. I'll post back on here when I have found what is causing it. Hopefully it's nothing stupid like a 29p relay that has gone faulty but is soldered to a £1000 controller. Lol.

Sounds to me like a bulb issue. My money is on a dual filament bulb being fitted incorrectly or a single filament bulb being fitted to a dual filament socket! I see it all the time on sprinter vans! On the old ones it would back feed the Ecu and cause limp mode!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Sounds to me like a bulb issue. My money is on a dual filament bulb being fitted incorrectly or a single filament bulb being fitted to a dual filament socket! I see it all the time on sprinter vans! On the old ones it would back feed the Ecu and cause limp mode!

We have a winner!! Absolutely bang on the money mate. I was going to wait until the weekend to take a look but I ended up taking it to my local garage after they said they could probably sort it for £30. I would never have worked that out as I didn't know their was dual and single filament bulbs. They just swapped the bulb and its cured it.

Bingo! ;-)
Glad it's sorted mate. People always see electrics and panic, not much else can cause that issue, that's the on place the circuits are linked!

Bingo! ;-)
Glad it's sorted mate. People always see electrics and panic, not much else can cause that issue, that's the on place the circuits are linked!

Yeah I would not have guessed that. I was thinking it was either a controller, relay or a damaged cable causing voltage to leak across to the other circuit. Cheers

Saves you the headache I guess. I bet if you'd have just said a light wasn't working they wouldn't have charged near that! At least it's done now and you know for next time.

Saves you the headache I guess. I bet if you'd have just said a light wasn't working they wouldn't have charged near that! At least it's done now and you know for next time.

Yeah more than likely. They charged me half hours labour and the bulb. I rang Honda first and they wanted £60 just to look at it. Haha. Oh well you live and you learn.

Back