• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Rear brake binding misery - help appreciated!

Right here's the story

2002 EP3

During a trackday the rear pads wore down to the backing plates (my own fault for not checking them too closely!) causing the rear brakes to overheat quite badly.

During a break from the track I also made the mistake of putting the handbrake on, which after releasing it the pads were binding quite badly. I had no choice but to drive home like this as well, causing more heat.

Anyway, new brembo discs and pads went on soon after, and they were still binding. I've bought some reconditioned calipers, which appear to move freely and have all new parts in them. Fitted these and the pads are STILL binding badly on the discs!

What am I doing wrong?

I've spun the rear hubs without the brakes connected and the bearings are fine. Both sides do it just the same.

Help!!! :mad:

silly i know but have you cleaned up the sliders/where the pads sit? if so grind a little off the edge of the pads so they're a little 'free-er'.

Yeah I did, as per usual the pads are too big so I ground and filed them down enough to move freely, they are just right.

Good call thanks anyway

I had this problem on mine, tried cleaning them up, new discs, paads etc, unfortunately though in the end I had to get a new caliper but problems now solved and haven't had any issues since.

Genuine one's are expensive (over £200 iirc), but I went to my local car parts place and got one for around £80. The difference is the cheaper ones were genuine calipers that were reconditioned at a factory. You get money back if you swap your old ones too iirc you get about £10 back.

Back