• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Rear brake issue

If the piston turns back in ok then that's probably fine, you don't have to use a wind back tool if you don't have one. I use a ring spanner and a long screwdriver to turn the piston. As for the slide pins have you tried leaving them to soak overnight in penetrating oil? or some heat on just the carrier may work

If the piston turns back in ok then that's probably fine, you don't have to use a wind back tool if you don't have one. I use a ring spanner and a long screwdriver to turn the piston. As for the slide pins have you tried leaving them to soak overnight in penetrating oil? or some heat on just the carrier may work

Ok I will try that technique. It is just spinning but not actually coming out. I have ordered 2 slide pin carrier refurb kits off ebay which come with new pins, boots and grease. Might as well do the other one as I will be fitting new discs and pads.

Wear thick gloves and just keep turning it whilst also applying pressure towards the car, it should eventually move?

If you have a fork type ball joint splitter - will the head of the pin catch on the forks (maybe old pipe wrench or monkey wrench, clamp it on) and then a few taps with a small lump hammer?

You've definitely done the right thing buying refurb kits. Even if you successfully clean a slider pin up using scotch brite, it will be more prone to corroding again.

Ok guys I had no luck getting it out myself. So I brought it into work to give to the guys in the tool room. It was soaked all moaning in penetrating oil then heated and it eventually came out (cheers Moab78!)
Got the slide pin kits today. Everything good apart from I dont think these boots sit into the carrier housing like the old ones (which seem to be attached to the carrier opening) Only worry is once the boot is installed it will come free from the carrier and just slide up and down the pin making it basically useless :/ Will have a have another play with the kit (bremtech is the kit i believe) later and I dont think you can just get the boots from Honda you have to buy a whole new carrier. May differ from dealerships though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the groove that the seal lip sits in just need a really good clean out? 10 years of corrosion may have tightened it up a little. This said, I guess that you could only use the end of a wire brush and scotch brite as you'd be lucky to get a rotary tool in there.

Is the old boot still whole enough to enable you to compare them?

Does the groove that the seal lip sits in just need a really good clean out? 10 years of corrosion may have tightened it up a little. This said, I guess that you could only use the end of a wire brush and scotch brite as you'd be lucky to get a rotary tool in there.

Is the old boot still whole enough to enable you to compare them?

The lip where the boot sits into was still gunky. All is good now. Will let you know how I get on tomorrow when installing it all. Do I need to open the bleed nipple to wind the caliper back?

Either bleed nipple or lid off reservoir. Some claim that reservoir method risks damage to ABS, need to be careful that it does not go over max, too.

Sent using Tapatalk

Ok everything went to plan fitted the brakes, news pins etc and bled the brakes. Is running like a beaut again :)

Glad to hear that you are sorted.

I decided to overhaul my original NSR caliper. Stupidly I then elected to use as many of the new seals from the kit as possible. Lesson learnt, if it is not broken - don't try to fix it.

The cam seal in the kit I bought is not identical to the original and I damaged the piston sleeve trying to remove it. I don't believe that you can remove the piston sleeve without a compressor. There was no significant wear or damage to any of adjuster bolt seal, piston sleeve seal or cam seal. Time, frustration and expense for no gain.

Needless to say I will just change piston, bleed nipple, main and dust seal on the other side.

Back