• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Rear brakes Getting Hot!!!

Hi i have 52 plate honda civic type r, i recently had all the pads changed and the front discs, also one of my rear calipers was ceased but the mechanic managed to free it. But now both rear calipers are warm and i think its the top of the brake pad which is red hot, as it burnt my finger, couldnt see what i was touching as it was dark there was alao a smell of burning brakes, but the fronts were stone cold not warm at all not even a little bit, the hand brake doesnt feel like it holds properly so ive been pulling it harder than usual . Any ideas?

Sounds like a sticky caliper still. Or pads could be sticking in clips. I've had it before where I've had to sand the tops of the pads to fit snug into the clips so they can still slide. Take it back to garage for them to have a look mate. The ratchet in the caliper for the handbrake mech might be seizing aswell but either way I'd take it back sooner rather than later.

I don't think its the caliper, as the caliper which was ceased was on the passenger side, and its both sides which are getting hot. Would a sticky caliper one side cause the other side to get hot as well? I'm going to try and get it booked in for the weekend and see what they can do. Hopefully its cheap. Cheers for the advice.

Ahh right. If its both suddenly after changing it could even be mis-adjustment of the handbrake cable. Has it got any better after bedding pads in or are they still red hot? The pads are sticking to the disc for some reason, either calipers sticking or cable hanging on. With both wheels in the air and handbrake off, do both wheels turn freely? Then if you engage handbrake, what happens? Did you have rear discs fitted aswell? Could be new pads sticking on rust/lip of an old disc.

I only had the rear pads done not the discs, if the pads are sticking to the rust lip is there anything I can do? Not had chance to jack it up and have a close look. The hand brake cable wasn't adjusted when they changed the pads. Should it have been?

The handbrake seems to hold a bit better but to be honest I've been pulling it up further so could just be that, the pads are still red hot. I've done about a thousand miles since they were fitted.

Well ideally I slacken the handbrake off, change pads then adjust cable to suit. Unless they've put pads in and the adjustment was perfect already (which I doubt).

It could be a few things mate but without looking at it it's a bit hard to pin point exactly. If calipers and cables are fine, I'd imaging disc needs a good clean up/replaced or maybe even as simple as cleaning and greasing all slides clips and pad backings

Cheers for the advice, really helpful. I've got a lot to ask them on Saturday when I take it back. Hopefully its something cheap...

No bother. But by sounds of it, straight after and both calipers are getting that hot I'd be inclined to sway towards cable or sticking pads in caliper.

Back