• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Rear calipers, rebuild or replace (ep3)

I have a slightly sticky piston on one side at the rear.

Does anyone know anywhere to get a replacement caliper from or a rebuild kit from without using Honda as i dont like be told to bend over for a price. Only place i have found so far is biggred but they dont have any in stock:mad:.

Rebuild wise i will need a piston as well:rolleyes: although im tempted to just replace with a rebuilt caliper if its possible to get one at a reasonable price.

Would be happy with some low mileage working calipers also if someone is breaking there R

Any help appreciated.

Regards Chiffs

are you sure its the caliper and not the hand brake cable that is sticking, i have worked on a few EP3 Type R's and a few suffered from hand brake cables seizing stopping the handbrake part of the caliper from returning properly and people think it is the piston that is sticking when it is actually the handbrake cable causing the problem.

Thanks for the reply Mark

The cable moves freely as does the handbrake arm on the caliper.

The piston outer dust seal is shot although the piston does seem to move in/out freely, applying the handbrake and then releasing it causes the caliper to not quite release all the way as does the foot brake but not quite as bad. If i give the caliper a slight tug (pull from the inside of the caliper towards the outside of the car it releases that final bit and the hub is then free to turn again.

Does any of that make sense Mark? Do you have any ideas?

Thinking at the moment that a replace with a refurbed unless you have any recommendtions of bits to check.

Thanks Chiffs

Have you asked Honda about prices. If you're going to strip it, you may not need to buy the whole caliper, so it might not be as expensive as you think.

Its around £44 + vat not including the piston from honda.

Have found so far, rebuilt caliper for £78 + vat, service kit £17.20 + vat and £20.65 + vat from http://www.brakesint.co.uk/index.html and they list nissin and lucas calipers for the rear. Mine has Nissin on the rear which im guess is oem.

if the rubber seal is past it your better off either replacing the caliper or rebuilding the one you have, it is a much better option in the long run

Let me get back to you on this one. I replaced both rear calipers from the local motor factor. Im sure it was £150 for both on an exchange basis. They where Nissin replacements.

Let me get back to you on this one. I replaced both rear calipers from the local motor factor. Im sure it was £150 for both on an exchange basis. They where Nissin replacements.

That does not sound too bad price wise. Got a few days off next week so will be hunting prices from local motor factors.

Will check tomorrow Chiffs or Monday at latest. I do remember that i searched and searched for refurb kits but decided that the exchange calipers where the best option. Mind you i had to replace the handbrake cables at the same time which was a serious "bend over from Honda price"

Will be in touch.

Si

Try your local spares, they might have something there thats already breaking in parts for sale.

Back