• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Rear lower strut bolt seized

Hey all

Yesterday i got hold of a 12 month old pair of meister R coilovers, so as i had today off i thought i'd fit them as anyone would.

Now after having 2 knackered track rod ends i now have 3 coilovers fitted and 1 VERY VERY badly seized bolt that holds the rear strut in place.

Just wondering if anyone has had something similar or the same? and if so how did you go about getting the nut out?

Ive tried both long bar and impact gun which is around 400-450nm and nothing even moved, it's been soaked in penetrating spray and so forth.

Now would this be easier to take all of the trailing arm off to cut the bolt out or is there a better way? i've not tried heat yet as it's on the left and being so close to the fuel tank it could be pretty disastrous

Yep, had the same problem I think, if it's the bottom bolt seized? I cut the captured nut off and the head of the bolt and could not get it out, so had to cut either side of the shock inside the mount and f**ked up the shocker, put a stainless M10 bolt & nut through, incidental mine was seized on the nearside, it had rusted in the bush and was flexing.!

I used a small grinder to cut it, but it is millimeters from the plastic fuel tank - BE CAREFULL.......

It's a bloody pain my car looks like it's had to many beers as all the other coils are lowered haha, any idea where I can get another bottom bolt from?

It's a bloody pain my car looks like it's had to many beers as all the other coils are lowered haha, any idea where I can get another bottom bolt from?

Any good steel stockist should be able to supply it, you'll need an M10 stainless bolt & a nylock nut about 100mm iirc.....

crowds

well managed to do it yesterday, ended up cutting the bolt head and threaded section off the trailing arm then just cut each side of the strut out, the strut is still useable just needs the rest of the bolt drilling out. Ended up using a bolt from a Ford mondeo subframe fits perfect and is a hardened bolt. But what a ball ache was very tight on the fuel tank with sparks flying

I was dreading this on mine and all it needed was a breaker bar. When me and my mate did both sides we jumped around like we'd won the world cup.

My rears were so easy, sraight off with the socket set, I celebrated too early as required drilling up front..doh

We tried everything breaker bar, heat, impact guns soaked in spray the lot and nothing bolt ended up spinning.

All the other 3 were fine just had to replace both track rod ends at the front as they were knackered.

The fronts are very unusual to seize a hell of lot easier to get off than the rears though haha

Back