• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Rear offside tyre stinks after motorway driving

Hi Guys,

Does anyone get this same problem i.e even after a short blitz on the motoway after parking up the rear offside tyre stinks of burning rubber?
I know its the heat given off the exhaust but Im not sure if I'm missing a heat shield or something. Its worse in the rain too.
I've had my 04 CTR for nearly 2 years now and apart from having my clutch/flywheel assembly replaced as it was giving a small groaning noise when pulling away when cold after 4 months of ownership (under warranty) have had no problems whats so ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had this for the whole 3 year had mine. Think its quite common with them. Just make shure the pressure is correct.

Cheers Neily03, I know the Honda dealer didnt pick anything up when it was serviced a few months ago, I just needed an expert opinion :)

Ive got the tyres set at 32psi all round, that seem right?

IIRC it should be 32 front and 30 rear but 2psi extra won't make much difference.... i used to run 34F 32R

Wasn't there some issues with alignment from the factory?

Might be getting it checked mate?

I had this too.......more niticeable on short journeys for me...and smelt worse when wet (like most things..lol):lol:

My offside rear used to have brake binding issues - jack it up and see if the wheel is free running.

Cheers guys, everything is running tinka posh, just the sometimes heavy rubber smell when just parked up, even more so when wet lol :)

apart from having my clutch/flywheel assembly replaced as it was giving a small groaning noise when pulling away when cold

Mines Started to do this,it seems to do it when your lifting up the clutch with the handbrake on at the same time and the car is straining forward?

What sort of noise is it exactly?

TIA

Nick

Mines Started to do this,it seems to do it when your lifting up the clutch with the handbrake on at the same time and the car is straining forward?

What sort of noise is it exactly?

TIA

Nick
I bet its 'the Chewbacca groan' mine did it for over 3 years when cold, didn't give me any trouble though. :)

It was like a subtle grinding type noise that only lasted a few seconds when the clutch was first engaging. I put up with it for several months before going to the dealer. When they first checked the car over, they said it was the exhaust heat shield (manifold end) which I know is a common fault. As soon as I got home, let the engine cool down, the noise was back, after every 'pull away'.
I knew it was the clutch as I could keep the noise present when lifting the clutch and holding it halfway when pulling away.
Always when the engine was cold. I never noticed any slippage, just the annoying grinding noise

It was like a subtle grinding type noise that only lasted a few seconds when the clutch was first engaging. I put up with it for several months before going to the dealer. When they first checked the car over, they said it was the exhaust heat shield (manifold end) which I know is a common fault. As soon as I got home, let the engine cool down, the noise was back, after every 'pull away'.
I knew it was the clutch as I could keep the noise present when lifting the clutch and holding it halfway when pulling away.
Always when the engine was cold. I never noticed any slippage, just the annoying grinding noise

Cheers for the info,doesnt sound like my issue,mines probably more in line what Neily mentioned.

Nick

Back