• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Rear Pads Brake Dust

Been cleaning the car and notice the amount of brake dust coming from the rear pads.
The rear wheels were filthy, were as the fronts were nearly spotless:confused:

I had done 500miles of easy driving so haven't been using the brakes very hard.

I can't believe the brake bias is set towards the rear, as the car doesn't feel like that under braking.
I can only presume that the rear pads are a different material that is bedding in differently compared to the fronts.

Anyone else noticed this or any thoughts.

First thing i'd think is a siezed caliper but its a bit new for that :eek: could be the hand break binding maybe? Probably just bedding in differently, best just to keep an eye it....

I think insanojackson posted something similar on ctro.....

also, I have seen a few pics with dirty rear wheels so you are not alone...

Yeah...i noticed the same thing on mine....loads of dust on rears ....nothing much on front.

Another thing i have noticed is how the pillar next to where the driver seatbelt buckle hangs is getting badly pitted......so annoying

Guys, a new kid on the block is always going to be subject to owner input. Make sure Honda UK are aware of the points which stand out - be sure to make your complaints obvious and maybe you will get the right result. :D

Well after 6K miles I still have this 'feature'

There is some debate if this is caused by the VSA, but I'm not convinced as I don't the VSA kicking in much on my normal commute.

I think its the location of the calipers. The front wheels have the calipers on the front edge of the disk and I think the airflow prevents the build up of brake dust, which doesn't happen of the rear discs.

I have this on mine, after 200 miles its like the wheels have to swapped front to back. The fronts are spotless and the rears are how i'd expect the fronts to be.... :?

it threw me when I first got mine, the answer was VSA although I can not remember this ever coming on in my car!! I have done 2000 miles in mine now and cleaning it again this week, once again the wheels at the rear are filthy and I have done 160 miles this week.

Even my BMW was not this bad.

i have read that the compound used on the rear pads is softer to the fronts this causing more brake dust!
might not be right though.

Had mine just over a year, and put 15k on it...its not nearly as bad now as it was when it was new.

Wonder how much the massive heat shields on the rear brakes have to do with it... with those things most of the brake dust will go out through the outside of the wheel.

Also when I got the car the rear discs had rings of rust on them and looked a little pitted like they hadn't seen much hard braking. Now i've done 1k miles in it they're clean and silver like the fronts.

Back