• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Rear speaker help

Hi everyone, need to pick your brains.

I changed my rear speakers in my type r and accidentally let one fall as I was trying to screw it in. The bare cables on the back of the speaker touched the metal framework and the rear speakers stopped working.
I've tested the speakers with my multimeter & they're fine. Plugged the old speakers in, but still no sound, so I'm guessing it's something else, I've.shorted something.
The fronts work fine. It's a factor set up, so standard HU with nab & theres no amps before anyone asks.
Any ideas on what it could be & how I can fix it.

Fuse in the headunit maybe if you're getting no output to the rears at all.

Fuse in the headunit maybe if you're getting no output to the rears at all.

I was thinking that it maybe a fuse, but didn't know where they are. I could figure it out if there were after market amps, coz I've done full on boot installs before. But this completely baffled me.
Are there any how to guide to removing the HU.

Take out the glove box and push out from inside, couple clips then centre unit will be out..first check the fuse no.8 if I were you first. This is audio unit fuse.. use multimeter check voltage in each couple of wire. I'll post a diagram late if there any help..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

811754b3b6dd2d570795a087f97d8893.png

Take out the glove box and push out from inside, couple clips then centre unit will be out..first check the fuse no.8 if I were you first. This is audio unit fuse.. use multimeter check voltage in each couple of wire. I'll post a diagram late if there any help..

I'll have a go at the glovebox tomorrow. I've checked the fuses under the drivers dash, they all seem to be fine.
If it's the same for checking the speaker wires as it is for checking the speaker itself, then I'm not getting a reading from the wires on either side.

I'll have a go at the glovebox tomorrow. I've checked the fuses under the drivers dash, they all seem to be fine.
If it's the same for checking the speaker wires as it is for checking the speaker itself, then I'm not getting a reading from the wires on either side.

Check the circuit of the audio system with your multimeters, follow the colour of the wires mate.

If the stereo itself doesn't have a fuse on the amp then you may have killed the amp in the headunit by trying to drive a short (something not many amps are capable of). :(

Muchas gracias for all the help. Its now all working.
Ended up taking the HU out and discovering the bass works amp tucked in behind. There was a 5A inline fuse that had blown, took me a while to find it coz it was hidden amongst all the looms.

Muchas gracias for all the help. Its now all working.
Ended up taking the HU out and discovering the bass works amp tucked in behind. There was a 5A inline fuse that had blown, took me a while to find it coz it was hidden amongst all the looms.

Glad it's sorted

Back