• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Recent FN2 Owner - Let go of the DC2 :(

So, I have sold the DC2, It was a fantastic car and a prime example. It's just with my current situation I couldn't justify parking it in the street/using it over winter & and it not being practical to run two car's at the moment. So I sold it without the Mugen Gen.2 and still have the MF10's.

The FN2 is a nice driver with plenty of nice modern touches and I don't worry about driving wherever I need to in any weather and parking it anywhere too. It goes quite well and the body feel's rigid, However for a sense of event/atmosphere/enjoyment the DC2 is in a league of it's own and I dare say mechanical component quality has definitely taken a dive since the DC2 era. Also, The brakes are poor and the ride smoothness is similar to my DC2 was on coilovers!

I already miss the track side of things and I feel a c.1350kg FF Honda with an electronic accelerator should remain my daily, I have strong thoughts of buying a cheap EP3 to Strip it, Tyres, Brakes, Bucket and it and blasting a fair few tracks next year, We'll see.

FN2 is one owner from new, 2008, FHSH, GT, stock and Alabaster silver in colour which was exactly what I was after, This is the 6th one I viewed, I was amazed at how many buckets there are around despite being a relatively new car and not exactly at the lower end of the PP. I was viewing them whilst driving the '2 and each time I walked back to it, I had a huge question mark over my head, The DC2 was cleaner overall and had less rust than most and it was '99.

Overall I am enjoying the FN2 for what it is and suits me down to the ground at the moment, I have just met the 'clicking clutch' fault, I'll see how long some lithium grease keep it at bay.

Last edited by a moderator:
lovely DC2 you must have strong willpower to let that go! Cheap Ep3 could be the way to go if your after a less luxurious more driver focused track car, note the brakes aren't great on the Ep3 I've owned to Eps and brakes on both were pretty bad in comparison to other high powered cars I've owned/driven and its not cheap to upgrade to 4pots etc

Lovely cars there mate!

Brake upgrades are a must. Lines, pads and fluid will make a huge difference.

Lovely looking Teg you had. :smt023

Give the FN2 time, definitely a grower. As has been said, sort the brakes out with some decent pads, lines and fluid.

Nice dc2 love them in JDM spec.

Loxy is right fn2 is a grower and awesome car ones modded.
Also great car as daily good chill/performance ratio ;)

Such a lush teg, must of been so hard to hand over the keys, think I would of cryed.
Good choice of colour for the fn2, looks nice and some good shots.

Thanks for the kind words and advice guys!

Yeh I feel this thing is too clean/fresh/new for some track abuse, To me anyway. Very nice for my daily drive and the odd blast which is exactly what I bought it for. It has now developed the '888' speedo issue, But it's booked in for a new Honda on Friday, Thank god I took out that warranty! £560+VAT they told me for the part.

A sub 2k EP3 would be perfect I feel because I wouldn't worry about stripping it bare and re-sale value so much, My mum drives a 2006 Cosmic Premier edition with sub 50k miles, It's a nice car and I guess when I see people on here refer to the EP3 as hardcore / raw in other threads I've read, I always tell myself they need to try a Type R from the 90's! I would love another DC2 for the track but good ones are few and far between now and they start to cost money very quickly, An EP3 seems a hassle free way out in relative terms and rust isn't such an issue.

And I imported that DC2 early 2014, Was a great example!

I owned another fresh Japanese import prior to the DC2, Genuine Y56 Facelift EK4 SiR, The only one in the UK at the time anyway as far as I knew. Cleanest car I have ever owned without a doubt with a lot of nice parts including an Mfactory 3+4+5.

IMG_8276_zps346f6be4.jpg

IMG_7862.jpg

That is one sexy ek4 mate!!!

Thanks for the kind words and advice guys!

Yeh I feel this thing is too clean/fresh/new for some track abuse, To me anyway. Very nice for my daily drive and the odd blast which is exactly what I bought it for. It has now developed the '888' speedo issue, But it's booked in for a new Honda on Friday, Thank god I took out that warranty! £560+VAT they told me for the part.

A sub 2k EP3 would be perfect I feel because I wouldn't worry about stripping it bare and re-sale value so much, My mum drives a 2006 Cosmic Premier edition with sub 50k miles, It's a nice car and I guess when I see people on here refer to the EP3 as hardcore / raw in other threads I've read, I always tell myself they need to try a Type R from the 90's! I would love another DC2 for the track but good ones are few and far between now and they start to cost money very quickly, An EP3 seems a hassle free way out in relative terms and rust isn't such an issue.

And I imported that DC2 early 2014, Was a great example!

I owned another fresh Japanese import prior to the DC2, Genuine Y56 Facelift EK4 SiR, The only one in the UK at the time anyway as far as I knew. Cleanest car I have ever owned without a doubt with a lot of nice parts including an Mfactory 3+4+5.

IMG_8276_zps346f6be4.jpg

IMG_7862.jpg

That is one sexy ek4 mate!!
Currently im on my second ej9 converted ek k20 but this time with à jackson racing supercharger attached to it :p
Ek's are sexy as hell B-)
Once again very nice yellow ek4 mate seems it was in very mint condition ! Damn....

Teg looked great dude, sure i've seen pictures of it somewhere before!

FN2 looks smart too, how is it in comparison to the teg with regards to speed? Feel quicker with the extra torque low down or does the weight hinder that?

Teg looked great dude, sure i've seen pictures of it somewhere before!

FN2 looks smart too, how is it in comparison to the teg with regards to speed? Feel quicker with the extra torque low down or does the weight hinder that?

Thanks man, Hmm... I guess the FN2 feel's a bit more torquey at lower RPM. But if the car's were put side by side, The DC2 of mine would pull away from the FN2 especially after 80mph. My DC2 had a Mugen airbox and Mugen twinloop Catback in terms of performance mods, Nothing else, It was only on 70k miles when I got it as well. In terms of all round track performance the DC2's are in a league of their own.

We have pitched my Import DC2, my previous EK4 SiR B16A with the gearset, my dad's previous two '96 Spec DC2's against my mum's EP3 on a private run way on various occasions and the EP3 (Stock apart from AEM long arm) didn't come out on top in any of the trials and they are similar to an FN2 in terms of performance I guess. The K20 is a good engine, the heavier chassis doesn't do it any favours but they respond well to bolt on's which is good.

Cheers Wrenneth, Your obviously very enthusiastic about your EK's!

Ah right I get you, I guess the weight advantage the dc2 has over the newer models really helps it out. I'm yet to have a go against any other type R, went against an Ek hatch with a b18 on a straight and there was nothing in it. Just waiting to meet an ep3 or fn2 On the road I guess!

Enjoy the civic! Keep us updated :)

Haven't updated this in a while, But It hasn't been the free motoring I had been expecting:

After a month of ownership I got the dreaded and relatively rare '888' speedo fault, A new speedo cost nigh on £700 from Honda, Thankfully the car was under warranty!

Secondly I had a clicking from the front when turning full lock or coming to a stop, I traced It down to the typical subframe bracket/support, It got removed, cleaned, greased and re-torqued to spec. Clicking is now gone.

Visit to the Honda dealers for a look at the FK2 when released, Makes my car look like a Type S:

I had x2 faulty tyre valves on the OSF&R, Rectified and all tyres filled with Nitrogen:

Tracking checked and minor adjustments made, However the steering was left slightly off centre which drove me nuts for the next month or so:

Gave all brake calipers a freshen up:

Visited the Derwent reservoir:

Out with two good friends in my lowly stock FN2:

I then noticed a clunk from the front, Broken spring and failed strut cup/bearings (Stupid MacPherson suspension, Hate the design, To be honest the rear beam doesn't bother me as much as this, I WISH Honda put some sort of double wishbone design on the front, Hate the tyre shoulder shredding lean). The car was due in for a service as well so I decided on Imperial Racing (Fantastic work was carried out, I would highly recommend). I replaced the full strut and spring with a 25k mile unit from a CW car, The geometry was also checked and reset after the strut replacement, The steering wheel is now centred again! :D

Do-luck foam filter to help the K20 breath a litter easier:

Picked up a fresh wheel as well as the NSF had a few scuffs:

Hiding from the snow:

Winter time average MPG... My trip to work is only 10mins so It's justified to be honest:

Took a run to Hartside with my friends:

O.A.P's really love their Honda's.

OEM Service Package, 75K mile service & Additional parts.

I like this oil storage point:

Keyring:

After 6months of ownership I am really enjoying the car for what it has to offer, It's my daily drive and I enjoy it for what is. Obviously coming from more 'hardcore' Honda's it feels soft, bulky and refined. But the K20Z4 is a very nice engine, so smooth and linear. I think if I ever dip back to the older chassis it will have to be equipped with a K20. I have bought a fantastic example I feel, and will find it very hard to let go if/when I decide to. The bodywork is flawless and it's an incredibly tight driving car, The gearbox is as sweet as nut and that 5.1 FD is a nice addition when comparing it to my friends DC5.

I don't plan to mod this car but keep it meticulously maintained using OEM Parts and keep it clean which shouldn't be difficult as I barely cover 100miles/week.

I will keep the progress updated

Haven't updated this in a while, But It hasn't been the free motoring I had been expecting:

After a month of ownership I got the dreaded and relatively rare '888' speedo fault, A new speedo cost nigh on £700 from Honda, Thankfully the car was under warranty!

Secondly I had a clicking from the front when turning full lock or coming to a stop, I traced It down to the typical subframe bracket/support, It got removed, cleaned, greased and re-torqued to spec. Clicking is now gone.

Visit to the Honda dealers for a look at the FK2 when released, Makes my car look like a Type S:

I had x2 faulty tyre valves on the OSF&R, Rectified and all tyres filled with Nitrogen:

Tracking checked and minor adjustments made, However the steering was left slightly off centre which drove me nuts for the next month or so:

Gave all brake calipers a freshen up:

Visited the Derwent reservoir:

Out with two good friends in my lowly stock FN2:

I then noticed a clunk from the front, Broken spring and failed strut cup/bearings (Stupid MacPherson suspension, Hate the design, To be honest the rear beam doesn't bother me as much as this, I WISH Honda put some sort of double wishbone design on the front, Hate the tyre shoulder shredding lean). The car was due in for a service as well so I decided on Imperial Racing (Fantastic work was carried out, I would highly recommend). I replaced the full strut and spring with a 25k mile unit from a CW car, The geometry was also checked and reset after the strut replacement, The steering wheel is now centred again! :D

Do-luck foam filter to help the K20 breath a litter easier:

Picked up a fresh wheel as well as the NSF had a few scuffs:

Hiding from the snow:

Winter time average MPG... My trip to work is only 10mins so It's justified to be honest:

Took a run to Hartside with my friends:

O.A.P's really love their Honda's.

OEM Service Package, 75K mile service & Additional parts.

I like this oil storage point:

Keyring:

After 6months of ownership I am really enjoying the car for what it has to offer, It's my daily drive and I enjoy it for what is. Obviously coming from more 'hardcore' Honda's it feels soft, bulky and refined. But the K20Z4 is a very nice engine, so smooth and linear. I think if I ever dip back to the older chassis it will have to be equipped with a K20. I have bought a fantastic example I feel, and will find it very hard to let go if/when I decide to. The bodywork is flawless and it's an incredibly tight driving car, The gearbox is as sweet as nut and that 5.1 FD is a nice addition when comparing it to my friends DC5.

I don't plan to mod this car but keep it meticulously maintained using OEM Parts and keep it clean which shouldn't be difficult as I barely cover 100miles/week.

I will keep the progress updated

Looks nice that mate nice to see you looking after it nicely!

Well not an awful lot has happened in the last few months with the FN2, but I did pull together a PH Carpool article for it before xmas which can be found here:

http://www.pistonheads.com/regulars/ph-carpool/honda-civic-type-r-ph-carpool/33261

I have just come back from Japan with a couple of fellow Honda heads so I'm busy pulling together a kind of blog on my trip there.

And finally, the FN2 will be in my mums ownership in a few weeks time, I've just recently bought a house so needed to raise money for that. So we agreed on a part X deal with her 2006 Cosmic Grey EP3, Premier edition, 63k miles, it's a nice car. I have under sealed it twice in her 4-5 year ownership as I thought there might be a day I acquire it. Think she has only hit VTEC once in it haha.

Will updates with pics once I collect it from Ireland.

Back