• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Red seat belts

Not sure if this has been covered before, but im thinking of changing my seat belts for red ones, not sure if this is possible and if so, can anyone advise me where and how i can do it please.

Cheers carl

Thanks mate, I will keep an eye out for your updates and any pics would be great. Good luck.

Carl

ive bought one, as the seat is out being re-stiched ( by the girlfriend ), so while its out ill do that seatbelt side. and do a how too, and you can look.

done this today, 2 hours it took, just working it out, its fitted now. I was writing a how too , but seems the little boy has deleted the pictures off the tab!

its quite simple. but tricky. and the details on the how too, well ....its tricky.

I still got another side to do, but not for a while. as ive been doing passanger side, as I can afford to take that seat out,

its quite simple but tricky to do. take back panel off . unscrew seatbelt. then just recut / and replace with yours. but you have to measure to size, and stitch and rethread it on.
if you don't trust it, you can wait till I do my next one. but I can take a picture too. and upload it . one moment

5xcs.jpg

Not wanting to be a party pooper here but, what are the legal issues here and what happens when it's MOT time, all seat belts are labeled and must conform to strict tests, how can you prove that your stitching can stand up to a serious accident if god forbid you had one.

i would love to have Red ones to match my seats and trim but I am concerned about the issues above.

kind regards
Baz

I've been told you have to 'send things away' to get this done legally ? No idea what to send away... ?

Sounds griefy. Don't think I'd take a chance with seatbelt stitching personally, now matter how confident a seamstress my mrs was.

There's a company called Securon that used to do bolt in legal replacements, no idea if they're still going though. Their website looks fresh out of 2003.

http://www.securon.co.uk/index.htm

Not wanting to be a party pooper here but, what are the legal issues here and what happens when it's MOT time, all seat belts are labeled and must conform to strict tests, how can you prove that your stitching can stand up to a serious accident if god forbid you had one.

i would love to have Red ones to match my seats and trim but I am concerned about the issues above.

kind regards
Baz

edited - corrected post in last section

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Carl . good news! its not agasint the law to change your seatbelts. and will pass m.o.t checked with 3 garages today! ( they all said, all retainers must lock & unlock correctly ( first was a family friend garage, which was due to safety concerns incase the seatbelt fails ( you will be liable for any deaths ) which is why my first post said different, my stitching it top notch though, and it has a special design to improve strength which im very confident about, ( theres also ways you can improve the strength of this. even using metal plates. )

also for conformation I got in contact with a seatbelt maker and distributor and they emailed back with this.

Hi,

We recommend having them fitted professionally. However, there is no law about exactly who can fit the
seatbelt and also there are no proscriptive laws about front facing seatbelts in the front of vehicles as you
can use old style 3 point restraints in classic cars and similar. Also many sport spec vehicles have
full racing harness fixtures and these are ok as well.

If you do want to fit them yourself, you simple need to ensure that
the webbing is not damaged during fitting, no
frayed edges or holes in the
fabric (MOT requirements at any rate).

The webbing we sell created for use in automotive restraints but we do not provide guarantees
or batch traceability for any of our small volume sales sold by smaller traders. The webbing is used for all sorts of things, many of which it was never designed
for.

It is designed for automotive restraint and will deform by design in high speed collisions and should be replaced following any major
accident.

Regards

Mr P Hurst

kind regards
Baz

Well that is good news then, glad it's gonna be good to go, look forward to the finished article.:D

Thanks for the update mate, i will look at trying to source some seat belts and follow your thread on how you have done yours.

thanks again carl.

I have another one to do on 30th sept, ( days off work, ) as being drivers side, I need a few days instead of 1 day. and ill take a few screenies and write a how too.

Just out of interest, and tell me if its a stupid question. What if you could source red seatbelts from another car is that possible also.

I prob wouldn't risk it to be honest , as your making the matrail weaker, when you have to cut the current seatbelt off. you can buy it for £7.50 ... and would easily do front 2 seatbelts.

At present i work for Dennis Eagle who manufacture trucks and we soruce red seat belts for vehicles being exported to Austrialia so i am going to try and source some through the company who supply us.

If i have any joy i will post an update has i am sure if they are suitable for a 24 ton truck they should be fine in the ctr

Back